• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado visitation/age a child can decide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Thank you for answering my questions.

The 6 to life is an odd sentence for rape.

It is good that he has an attorney.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Please answer the question of what EXACTLY he was convicted of. Thank you.
Or as she stated in post #5:

I apologize, I did not make that clear. His ex-girlfriend is his child’s mother.

He pays child support by his disability check from the Marine core. His grandmother is on his account. His check gets deposited and she sends his payment to the child enforcement in Colorado.
His ex-girlfriend, his child’s mother, lied and said he raped/sodomized her when she found out he was cheating on her. His son was 5 weeks old. Long story-no evidence, she tried this before with her other child’s father but he had an alibi. He didn’t do it.
OP doesn't get that since he in jail for raping his babymama, he has no right to further victimize her by contacting her.

Yeah, I get that he's "innocent" in OP's eyes.

However, in the eyes of the law, the babymama is the victim, and he hasn't owned up, so she has every right to protect herself.

Last edited:

quincy

Or as she stated in post #5:
OP doesn't get that since he in jail for raping his babymama, he has no right to further victimize her by contacting her.
Yeah, I get that he's "innocent" in OP's eyes.
However, in the eyes of the law, the babymama is the victim, and he owned up, so she has every right to protect herself.
I don't see that the dad "owned up" to the rape? He apparently has always claimed he was innocent.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

My husband is in a correctional facility and has been for 10 years, since his son was 5 weeks old. He still has parental rights and pays child support every month. He has not seen a picture or had any contact with his son during this 10 year time. Does he have a legal right to know where his son lives? Does his ex-girlfriend have a legal responsibility to send him pictures or tell the boy about his father?

As the step-mother, is there anything I can do so this child has a chance to get to know his father. I have never met the child’s mother or the child. I do not know if she has told the child the truth about his father or her story as to why he is supposedly in a correctional facility. I have three children of my own 19, 16, and 3. My husband and I have been best friends for 25 years. I know he is a great person and father if given the chance.

At what age can the child have a choice if they want to see or meet the other parent?

Thank you for your time
The reality of things is that I believe that your husband is lying to you. I do not believe that he is actually receiving disability payments from the Marine Corps that are going to him rather than to the facility that is housing him. I also do not believe that his son, if he has one, is receiving child support while he is incarcerated.

However, even if you are correct, there is no way that a court is going to order that a child visit a father that he does not know at all, while that father is in prison.

Jtegge

The reality of things is that I believe that your husband is lying to you. I do not believe that he is actually receiving disability payments from the Marine Corps that are going to him rather than to the facility that is housing him. I also do not believe that his son, if he has one, is receiving child support while he is incarcerated.

However, even if you are correct, there is no way that a court is going to order that a child visit a father that he does not know at all, while that father is in prison.

Jtegge

I would agree in not having a child visit his father in prison. I was wanting to know about updating the father as to where the child lives and if the mother or family member could be ordered to at least send my husband pics of his son, even a yearly school pic.

Jtegge

I don't see that the dad "owned up" to the rape? He apparently has always claimed he was innocent.
My husband has always said he is innocent. I have known him for 25 years. He has always been truthful with me.
My husband had 7 penile piercings when they were together. During the trial the child’s mother stated on the stand that he indeed had all 7 penile rings in and sodomized her. Yet, the rape kit for anal and vaginally were both negative. No abrasions or anything on him or her. The judge would not allow this to be brought in as evidence nor would the judge let any medical providers testify. It is in the transcripts of the trial the judge telling them they have 1 week to have this trial finished because he had a fishing trip planned.

My children and I are currently dependents on his veterans disability and it shows how much money is put into his account monthly. Also, I have known his grandmother for 25 years. I go visit her about 2-3 times per month. She does write out his check and sends it.

I am not only going off of what he says. I have discussed this in depth with his mother, aunt, grandmother, and sister. I have also looked up his criminal record and heard the recording of the trial. Being a health care provider I do not understand how this could possibly happen without any proof and I do not see how someone could possibly be sodomized against their will with the man having 7 penile piercings and no abrasions on either person.

Eekamouse

OP, you WANT to believe he is telling the truth. You don't know what the real truth of what occurred is. You weren't there so you can't know. Why are you and your children drawing support from this prisoner's veterans disability? None of your kids are his so why is he supporting them? I don't get that at all.

Jtegge

Quick question since this is my first time on this forum.
Do any of the people posting comments actually have a legal background or can anyone post their questions and opinions?

It seems people do not know the laws and keep asking question which seem obvious.

I want a legal answer from a qualified person. Apparently no one reading this can help me any further.
Thank you for the ones who have given me answers to my questions dealing with Colorado laws.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Quick question since this is my first time on this forum.
Do any of the people posting comments actually have a legal background or can anyone post their questions and opinions?

It seems people do not know the laws and keep asking question which seem obvious.

I want a legal answer from a qualified person. Apparently no one reading this can help me any further.
Thank you for the ones who have given me answers to my questions dealing with Colorado laws.
You did not read the TOS. I am an attorney but quite frankly this is not your legal business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">