• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws regarding (potentially) vicious dogs in apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

My insurance carrier has breed restrictions. I refuse to lease to small dog owners. If the dog is expected to be under 20 pounds adult weight, you may not have it in my property. Chihuahua's are among the most violent breeds out there and responsible for an amazing percentage of dog bite cases.

LdiJ

We had a small sheltie-shepherd mix like that. Friendliest dog ever but he had a terrifying bark. Our most vicious dog was our basset hound. He never barked but he bit a clown. :)
OMG, he bit an actual clown? Where did he get access to a clown? I had a chihuahua that managed to get written up as a vicious dog by the electric company meter reader.

LdiJ

My insurance carrier has breed restrictions. I refuse to lease to small dog owners. If the dog is expected to be under 20 pounds adult weight, you may not have it in my property. Chihuahua's are among the most violent breeds out there and responsible for an amazing percentage of dog bite cases.
Ok, I can agree that some Chihuahuas are vicious, because I had one. But my two little girl teacups were the sweetest dogs ever.

quincy

OMG, he bit an actual clown? Where did he get access to a clown? I had a chihuahua that managed to get written up as a vicious dog by the electric company meter reader.
Our basset was born on the 4th of July so we decided to take her with us to the local 4th parade. The clown left the parade path to sneak up behind us. He pet our sleeping dog on the butt and our dog turned quickly and bit him. The clown deserved it. :)

Gail in Georgia

Most insurance carriers for rental properties have breed restrictions. Or take the easy way out and simply refuse to cover ANY dog related issues. Which can lead landlords to avoid accepting any dogs no matter the breed.

At any rate if the OP has an issue with what they believe are violent dogs being allowed in the rental properties it would seem the first discussion of such should be with management regarding this matter.

Gail

Just Blue

Our basset was born on the 4th of July so we decided to take her with us to the local 4th parade. The clown left the parade path to sneak up behind us. He pet our sleeping dog on the butt and our dog turned quickly and bit him. The clown deserved it. :)
I once b-slapped this clown (guy) who ran up behind me and slapped my bottom. He had my handprint on his tummy for three days.

To be clear in my story clown = male friend of mine...not a circus clown. ;)

PayrollHRGuy

I do. And others. If you LEGALLY enter an apartment, and the dog attacks - vicious dog. An apartment environment is a community environment. If a dog has to be restrained in that environment, I do not feel it needs to be there. The property is not the tenants.
You have no power to deem them anything. There are many states that have vicious dog laws but you aren't the person that gets to name categorize them as such. As I said if you are attacked by a dog when you legally enter an apartment mace it.

klyxmaster

The law may not address the issue, but if it does, it would likely do so at the municipal level. However I can tell you that knowing the breed of a dog does not tell you whether its vicious or not, or whether it has been trained to defend its home against strangers. I have seen chihuahuas that were truly vicious and pit bulls that wouldn't do more than lick you to death. My grandmother once owned a yellow lab that was so vicious that it would attack literally everyone but her. Yes, some breeds tend to have more vicious animals than others, but in my experience its more "nurture" over "nature"
Im trying to figure out where the word "breed" came from as I NEVER mentioned it in my post.

quincy

Im trying to figure out where the word "breed" came from as I NEVER mentioned it in my post.
I might have been the first to mention breeds of dogs when I spoke of insurance policies (and leases) that exclude certain dog breeds.

Again, the owner of the property limited his options when he did not exclude certain breeds from being housed in his rentals and/or allowed all pets without restriction.

I hope the rental does not require emergency repair.

Good luck.

Just Blue

I would like to point out that dogs have no way of knowing if the person entering their Mom/Dads home is legally allowed to do so. If they attack that doesn't necessarily make them "vicious" but perhaps doing what dogs are prone to do...Protect their property.

klyxmaster

It is the lease that speaks.

If the landlord allows dogs without restriction, the landlord permits vicious dogs and must deal with them.

A landlord can prepare a tenant for a visit by having the tenant lock up or remove the dog. In an emergency, the landlord cannot ignore the emergency. He must handle the presence of the dog in a way that best prevents harm, to landlord and dog.
I think this is the best answer and a direction I need to address.

klyxmaster

I would like to point out that dogs have no way of knowing if the person entering their Mom/Dads home is legally allowed to do so. If they attack that doesn't necessarily make them "vicious" but perhaps doing what dogs are prone to do...Protect their property.
true - but (as much as people hate it) we are not talking about "homes" which would make sense. Apartments are a community environment. Simple as that, in a home, you do not share your garbage, garage, laundry, garage etc. with your neighbor. Therefore if they feel they need a dog to "protect" them in a community environment, maybe that community is not a good fit for them and they should seek a condo or house. IMHO.

Gail in Georgia

You are not talking about walking into a tenants garage or laundry. You are talking about walking into a tenants apartment and that is NOT a "community environment".

As in a rental property that is a SFH there may be times where an emergency repair is required. If the landlord/property manager is aware that the tenant owns a dog that may be protective toward strangers entering the unit the tenant should be notified that such an entry will occur and to address the issue of the dog as required.

At any rate, if you are simply an employee of this complex (and not the owner nor the landlord) your opinion on whether a tenant should or should not own a dog that may be protective of strangers legally means, nothing.

Gail

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
true - but (as much as people hate it) we are not talking about "homes" which would make sense. Apartments are a community environment. Simple as that, in a home, you do not share your garbage, garage, laundry, garage etc. with your neighbor. Therefore if they feel they need a dog to "protect" them in a community environment, maybe that community is not a good fit for them and they should seek a condo or house. IMHO.
Generally speaking, a dog is not going to distinguish whether their "home" is a house or an apartment. Additionally, even in a house, there are often emergencies that require "others" to enter.

I have two dogs. Both friendly. To a point. Grab the one unexpectedly? Expect to lose a hand.

p.s. Being crate trained does not equal vicious. It's often for the dog's safety.

That makes me laugh. The last dog I had was a small (short) dog with the bark of a huge and vicious rotweiller. He was never a danger to anyone, including intruders.
That's exactly what the owners of the dog said after it put me in hospital needing reconstructive surgery to my face when I was 7.
I still have the mental and physical scars to this day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">