• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on CC Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kosagirl

Hi, I am currently being pursued by a debt collection company for an old credit card bill, that I don’t even remember having, but that is not the point. I lived in KY when the debt was incurred per records and their statute of limitations is 15 years, but I now live in MO, which is where the debt collection attorney is located and MO has a 5 year statute of limitations. Which SOL do I go by and can I send them something stating that the statute is up, if I am to go by MO’s SOL? Please let me know and thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would think that, not only does the KY SOL apply, it may have been tolled since you left the state.

justalayman

What does tolled mean?
The clock stops running. If KY has a tolling statute and you have acted in a manner that would invoke the tolling statute (leaving the state often invoked s tolling statute), the clock for the statute of limitations pauses. That would mean the KY sol may never run out if you remained out of state.

Kosagirl

So you’re saying that the case can continue to be brought against me because I moved four years ago before any of this occurred? And I definitely don’t go by the MO SOL?

If you owe a debt, pay it.
If you want the debt collector to stop contacting you send them a registered letter telling them to stop, and cite the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 805(C).

Zigner

If you owe a debt, pay it.
If you want the debt collector to stop contacting you send them a registered letter telling them to stop, and cite the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 805(C).
This thread, while not ancient, is still pretty old. Watch the dates ;)

Zigner

Neil - the video you posted was posted to YouTube by a credit counseling agency - that's why it was reported.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">