• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threats of Frivolous Lawsuits Over Social Media

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonstrike

I have someone threatening to harass people with frivolous lawsuits in an online server I'm in and I was wondering if there's any reason to worry, or if they're just spouting hot air. There's no real names, everyone goes by a username and there's no specific locations mentioned.

I'm assuming there's not much to worry about since there's so little information, but would like to know if there's any truth to their claims that they can ruin someone's life with subpoenas and frivolous lawsuits, and know if there's anything to do to counteract such claims. They have posted publicly about these frivolous claims, so I wonder if it would be good to compile screenshots of their threatening posts in case they do manage to track someone down

quincy

I have someone threatening to harass people with frivolous lawsuits in an online server I'm in and I was wondering if there's any reason to worry, or if they're just spouting hot air. There's no real names, everyone goes by a username and there's no specific locations mentioned.

I'm assuming there's not much to worry about since there's so little information, but would like to know if there's any truth to their claims that they can ruin someone's life with subpoenas and frivolous lawsuits, and know if there's anything to do to counteract such claims. They have posted publicly about these frivolous claims, so I wonder if it would be good to compile screenshots of their threatening posts in case they do manage to track someone down
Are you in the US? If so, in what state do you reside? If not, in what country do you reside?

Anyone can threaten to sue. Anyone can sue. Unless you are actually served with a summons and complaint, however, I wouldn't worry - especially if you have done nothing to warrant a lawsuit.

dragonstrike

I live in Canada. I'm sure I've done nothing to warrant a lawsuit, I'm just curious if the frivolous claims would be easy to dismiss or if they'd have the intended effect of jamming the person up if they were actually served

quincy

I live in Canada. I'm sure I've done nothing to warrant a lawsuit, I'm just curious if the frivolous claims would be easy to dismiss or if they'd have the intended effect of jamming the person up if they were actually served
FreeAdvice is a site that dispenses US legal information and advice.

The laws in the US differ from the laws in Canada in many significant ways.

For assistance with any legal issues, you will need to seek out a legal professional in your area.

Based on what you have described, I think the odds of the character suing anyone are probably pretty slim.

adjusterjack

My advice, wherever you are, is stay the hell off social media if you don't like what's happening on social media.

quincy

My advice, wherever you are, is stay the hell off social media if you don't like what's happening on social media.
That is such a simple solution that I am honestly surprised more people who are disturbed by what they read or view online don't consider it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">