• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Code Enforcement residential property entry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My question is this, I built a shed without a permit(Not real smart), close to finishing the shed a code inspector entered my backyard(promoted by a neighbor complaint) and issued a Stop Work Order. He did not knock on the front door but came through one of the side gates and issued the order to the carpenter's I had doing the construction. Does he have the right to enter my property without notification to someone inside the home? This has created quite a mess for myself as not only did I build the shed without a permit the setbacks are not to city code AND it's in a utility easement. Is there a way out of this self made catastrophe or am going to have to move the shed. There was a shed previously in that same location(new shed is bigger) that is viewable on the county tax rolls, but it was destroyed by a branch from a large tree in my yard which is also in the utility easement, was hoping to get grandfathered in as a "replacement" and not a "new" shed. Do I just have to bite the bullet?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My question is this, I built a shed without a permit(Not real smart), close to finishing the shed a code inspector entered my backyard(promoted by a neighbor complaint) and issued a Stop Work Order. He did not knock on the front door but came through one of the side gates and issued the order to the carpenter's I had doing the construction. Does he have the right to enter my property without notification to someone inside the home? This has created quite a mess for myself as not only did I build the shed without a permit the setbacks are not to city code AND it's in a utility easement. Is there a way out of this self made catastrophe or am going to have to move the shed. There was a shed previously in that same location(new shed is bigger) that is viewable on the county tax rolls, but it was destroyed by a branch from a large tree in my yard which is also in the utility easement, was hoping to get grandfathered in as a "replacement" and not a "new" shed. Do I just have to bite the bullet?
Yes, he can do that. You've got to bite the bullet and do things right.

quincy

My question is this, ... a code inspector entered my backyard ... Does he have the right to enter my property without notification to someone inside the home? This has created quite a mess for myself as not only did I build the shed without a permit the setbacks are not to city code AND it's in a utility easement. Is there a way out of this self made catastrophe or am going to have to move the shed. There was a shed previously in that same location(new shed is bigger) that is viewable on the county tax rolls, but it was destroyed by a branch from a large tree in my yard which is also in the utility easement, was hoping to get grandfathered in as a "replacement" and not a "new" shed. Do I just have to bite the bullet?
Florida's Attorney General's Office, in advisory legal opinion AGO 84-32, has answered your question with a "no." A code enforcement officer does not have the right to enter a gated backyard without permission or a warrant.

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/486093F9C929D04A85256583006C8F9C

Last edited:
Reading the link Quincy it specifies conducting inspections. The OP said that that code enforcement only entered to issue a Stop Work Order rather than inspect anything. Sort of like the mailman walking into your yard to get you to sign for a package.

quincy

Reading the link Quincy it specifies conducting inspections. The OP said that that code enforcement only entered to issue a Stop Work Order rather than inspect anything. Sort of like the mailman walking into your yard to get you to sign for a package.
Through a gated side entry. He should have gone to the front door.

And the Opinion specifies: "to assure compliance with or to enforce the various technical codes ... or to conduct inspections or searches ..."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">