• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Rent and Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrVision

Recently a tenant moved out after a drawn out battle with them over rent. He was cited by code enforcement for several different violations and they ultimately puts liens on my property and filed suit in small claims. I paid the claims to avoid problems and the tenant agreed reimbursement me. He paid partial rent for months, then failed to pay any. Being the son of a friend I tried working with him for over a year to get things squared up. He finally said he didnt want to pay the back rent and the violations off and vacated. When I went to the property I discovered he had turned the house into a MJ grow, complete with duct work, sub-walls to make rooms in rooms, and had a utility bypass installed. Total back rent and fees +6000. Total damage to the house +12000. Small claims limit is 10K. Should I sue him for 10K or can I file separate suits for the rent and damages??

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Recently a tenant moved out after a drawn out battle with them over rent. He was cited by code enforcement for several different violations and they ultimately puts liens on my property and filed suit in small claims. I paid the claims to avoid problems and the tenant agreed reimbursement me. He paid partial rent for months, then failed to pay any. Being the son of a friend I tried working with him for over a year to get things squared up. He finally said he didnt want to pay the back rent and the violations off and vacated. When I went to the property I discovered he had turned the house into a MJ grow, complete with duct work, sub-walls to make rooms in rooms, and had a utility bypass installed. Total back rent and fees +6000. Total damage to the house +12000. Small claims limit is 10K. Should I sue him for 10K or can I file separate suits for the rent and damages??

Thank you
What US state?

Generally, you can't file separate suits. Furthermore, the chances that you'll be able to collect anything from the guy are virtually non-existent. You shouldn't let any tenants do what this one did. You need to run things like a business...

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they can be of any assistance?

Zigner

CA. Insurance company told me that the damages are not covered because they were intentional.
I assumed California, based on the SC limit of $10k.
Suing and (likely) winning will be the easy part. Collecting is going to be your downfall.

adjusterjack

Insurance company told me that the damages are not covered because they were intentional.
Intentional damage to your property is called vandalism and some of it should be covered by your insurance though there might be separate deductibles for separate acts and you might have to file a police report which is something you should do anyway.

Zetadove1920

1st time I was late my bank account was compromised and account was cleaned out which I told them about. 2nd & 3rd times, I was in the hospital due to sickle. I paid the rent once I was released from hospital both times. I paid the late fees as well on all 3 occasions. This time I lost my job. The school closed up and no one knew it was. My last check was not my full pay. I have no money at all. No money to find another place with a five year old. I start a new job on 28th and my unemployment is on hold because they trying to contact the school that is closed. I have 2 weeks of money on hold. What can I do. I don't want too leave and my son is in school.

Zigner

1st time I was late my bank account was compromised and account was cleaned out which I told them about. 2nd & 3rd times, I was in the hospital due to sickle. I paid the rent once I was released from hospital both times. I paid the late fees as well on all 3 occasions. This time I lost my job. The school closed up and no one knew it was. My last check was not my full pay. I have no money at all. No money to find another place with a five year old. I start a new job on 28th and my unemployment is on hold because they trying to contact the school that is closed. I have 2 weeks of money on hold. What can I do. I don't want too leave and my son is in school.
Hello Zetadove1920 -

Please start your own thread, and make sure to include enough (relevant) information for us to help. Also, please make sure to include the name of your state. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">