• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case dismissed incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hypnosl

New Jersey.

Back in 2010 or 2011, I believe I was only 16 or 17 years old. I met this girl and we dated for a while but then finally decided to meet in person. She is younger than me 1 year old. Her family knew that we were dating. So my family decided to go to disney world for vacation and so at that time since we went to Disney World I asked that girl if she wanted to meet and she must asked her parents or guardian permission. So then she said she did ask and she had her oldest brother which 25 years old+ drove her to my family house in Florida to hang out for like 1 or 2 hours. The house had like so many kids and a lot of adults so we were only hanging out and talking. Then we drove her back home. Couple hours later, I found out that she didn't tell her mom that she went to see me and then my phone got blocked and stuff. When I got back home in New Jersey, 2-3 weeks later a police officer came to my apartment and told me that i had to go to the court hearing in Florida because her mom said that i raped her daughter and stuff. But i didn't. However, a day later, the court dismissed the case. I was never got arrested or anything. Never even been to the court. The court just called me and said case dismissed.

So my question is that I have graduated from university with a Criminal Justice degree and that i am planning to become a police officer. Will that incident effect my future career?

quincy

New Jersey.

Back in 2010 or 2011, I believe I was only 16 or 17 years old. I met this girl and we dated for a while but then finally decided to meet in person. She is younger than me 1 year old. Her family knew that we were dating. So my family decided to go to disney world for vacation and so at that time since we went to Disney World I asked that girl if she wanted to meet and she must asked her parents or guardian permission. So then she said she did ask and she had her oldest brother which 25 years old+ drove her to my family house in Florida to hang out for like 1 or 2 hours. The house had like so many kids and a lot of adults so we were only hanging out and talking. Then we drove her back home. Couple hours later, I found out that she didn't tell her mom that she went to see me and then my phone got blocked and stuff. When I got back home in New Jersey, 2-3 weeks later a police officer came to my apartment and told me that i had to go to the court hearing in Florida because her mom said that i raped her daughter and stuff. But i didn't. However, a day later, the court dismissed the case. I was never got arrested or anything. Never even been to the court. The court just called me and said case dismissed.

So my question is that I have graduated from university with a Criminal Justice degree and that i am planning to become a police officer. Will that incident effect my future career?
If the case was dismissed, it should have no effect on your career.

quincy

So when I go through the background checking to get in police academy it shouldn't be a problem?
If you were not arrested and no charges were filed against you, it shouldn't show up on a background check.

You can (and should) run your own criminal background check on yourself to see what shows up. This is a smart thing for everyone to do, as errors are not rare.

LdiJ

New Jersey.

Are you absolutely certain that the events happened as you described them? It would be unusual for a police officer to come to your house to tell you that you needed to go to court in another state (unless that officer was arresting you for the crime) and it would be unusual for a court to call you up to tell you that the case was dismissed. Its also possible that it was a civil case of some sort rather than a criminal one, but then again, I do not see why the police would have been involved.

You should perhaps have an attorney do some research to see what records, if any, are showing for the whole incident. However, if everything happened as you describe it, it should not impact you. Once you have researched the matter be honest about it with any department you apply to. In fact, it would be a good idea for you to have a copy of whatever records exist.

hypnosl

Are you absolutely certain that the events happened as you described them? It would be unusual for a police officer to come to your house to tell you that you needed to go to court in another state (unless that officer was arresting you for the crime) and it would be unusual for a court to call you up to tell you that the case was dismissed. Its also possible that it was a civil case of some sort rather than a criminal one, but then again, I do not see why the police would have been involved.

You should perhaps have an attorney do some research to see what records, if any, are showing for the whole incident. However, if everything happened as you describe it, it should not impact you. Once you have researched the matter be honest about it with any department you apply to. In fact, it would be a good idea for you to have a copy of whatever records exist.
Yes I am absolutely certain that how it exactly happened. There were so many kids that running in and out so therefore we did not even able to kiss or let alone do Rated R stuff. However, it was strange that a police officer came to my apartment to give me the documents about the court and that I needed to stop talking to that girl and stuff. Yes the court did call me and said that the case was dismiss.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, since you said that you "believe" you were only "16 or 17 years old" it calls into question your recollection of the rest of the story since you don't seem to know how old you were at the time or when this happened exactly.

You will probably have to fill out some type of background/personal history questionnaire. You need to be honest about your arrest and disposition. The hiring agency might even want a copy of the court records on the case showing the disposition, so maybe you should contact the court and start getting what you may need.

hypnosl

Well, since you said that you "believe" you were only "16 or 17 years old" it calls into question your recollection of the rest of the story since you don't seem to know how old you were at the time or when this happened exactly.

You will probably have to fill out some type of background/personal history questionnaire. You need to be honest about your arrest and disposition. The hiring agency might even want a copy of the court records on the case showing the disposition, so maybe you should contact the court and start getting what you may need.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">