• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is too long for probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Next month will make three years that I’ve been going through probate with an estate being $100,000. I’m past ready to get this thing settled and over with but my attorney just keeps coming up with one excuse after the other for not closing it out. So, $11,000 and almost three years of this mess and still not closed yet. So my question is, is there a statue of limitations on probate or is my attorney just trying to nickel and dime me to death!

quincy

Next month will make three years that I’ve been going through probate with an estate being $100,000. I’m past ready to get this thing settled and over with but my attorney just keeps coming up with one excuse after the other for not closing it out. So, $11,000 and almost three years of this mess and still not closed yet. So my question is, is there a statue of limitations on probate or is my attorney just trying to nickel and dime me to death!
What excuses are your attorney giving you?

What excuses are your attorney giving you?
I have been waiting over a month now for my attorney to go pick up some personal items from the estate to be turned over to someone that’s incarcerated as I live in a different state. In his office over a month ago, he said he would be going to pick that stuff up that following week. Well, that week has come and gone and now it’s well over a month. I called the office and briefed the receptionist on what I was calling about. Was put on hold while she spoke to my attorney about it. She come back on and said my attorney said he hadn’t forgot about getting that stuff. When he does, he’ll be in contact with me. I don’t understand why he can’t fulfill his obligation he made so we can close this out! So frustrating!!

quincy

I have been waiting over a month now for my attorney to go pick up some personal items from the estate to be turned over to someone that’s incarcerated as I live in a different state. In his office over a month ago, he said he would be going to pick that stuff up that following week. Well, that week has come and gone and now it’s well over a month. I called the office and briefed the receptionist on what I was calling about. Was put on hold while she spoke to my attorney about it. She come back on and said my attorney said he hadn’t forgot about getting that stuff. When he does, he’ll be in contact with me. I don’t understand why he can’t fulfill his obligation he made so we can close this out! So frustrating!!
How is the attorney expected to turn items over to a prisoner?

How is the attorney expected to turn items over to a prisoner?
Through a conservator from what he says. He’s suppose to pick up the items and take back to his office and then make arrangements for the conservator to pick stuff up from there.

Through a conservator from what he says. He’s suppose to pick up the items and take back to his office and then make arrangements for the conservator to pick stuff up from there.
And this is what’s holding up the process from getting this closed out. My attorney that’s not fulfilling his end of the bargain like he said he would. Ridiculous!

To start with, I had a different attorney but she got promoted to judge in a different state so she turn it over to this attorney.

quincy

To start with, I had a different attorney but she got promoted to judge in a different state so she turn it over to this attorney.
With your written consent, I presume.

You can fire any attorney you have hired if you believe the attorney is not doing what you hired him to do.

quincy

Yes, with my consent. It’s just like dragging on and on when this could have be closed out a long time ago.
I agree with you that three years is a long time. Without knowing all of the particulars it is hard to say if it is "too" long.

Obviously there are some complications due to the incarceration of one person. And it can be more difficult if you live out of state.

I suggest you request of your attorney a detailed accounting of all that has been done to date and what he has charged for each item listed.

Then take this to an attorney in your area for a review and opinion.

That’s what I was leaning towards doing and will probably do just that. It’s just crazy. I’ve called on two separate occasions and left messages on his voicemail to have him give me a call back to discuss getting that stuff picked up so we could get this thing closed.

That’s what I was leaning towards doing and will probably do just that. It’s just crazy. I’ve called on two separate occasions and left messages on his voicemail to have him give me a call back to discuss getting that stuff picked up so we could get this thing closed.
Never have got a call back from him yet and that was 2 weeks ago!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">