• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do you call an attorney who does not appear but still guides a litigant for a fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trump76638

What is the name of your state? Florida.
I am in to a pro se sue with landlord (commercial lease), I want an attorney to guide me, so that I do not violate any rules when it comes to following a court procedure. I am ready to pay the attorney. But at the same time I do not want him to appear in court for me.
I am at the stage where I need to submit CMR (case management report) to court.
Defendants have asked court to dismiss the case. (as every defendant does). The sue is for breach of contract and FDUTPA (Deception).
My cell phone no is [number removed] text is OK, I do not answer the phone unless you text me before hand.

quincy

FreeAdvice is not an attorney referral service. You should contact your state Bar Association for attorneys in your area or try http://www.AttorneyPages.com

Good luck.

(post reported to have personal identifying information removed)

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Florida.
I am in to a pro se sue with landlord (commercial lease), I want an attorney to guide me, so that I do not violate any rules when it comes to following a court procedure. I am ready to pay the attorney. But at the same time I do not want him to appear in court for me.
I am at the stage where I need to submit CMR (case management report) to court.
Defendants have asked court to dismiss the case. (as every defendant does). The sue is for breach of contract and FDUTPA (Deception).
My cell phone no is (removed phone #)text is OK, I do not answer the phone unless you text me before hand.
Contact your state bar for a referral. This site doesn't do referrals.

quincy

I do not want free advise, I want to pay and get advise. But I do not want him/her to represent me in court. Just keep guiding me step by step
That exceeds the scope of this forum.

You will need to find an attorney licensed to practice in your area who is willing to work on an as-needed basis, to guide you up to your court appearance.

Good luck.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
An attorney who provides you advice and assistance with your case but does not appear in court for you is sometimes referred to as advisory counsel. But that doesn't really help you search for an attorney because few if any specialize in providing that service. Indeed, in many states it is difficult for a lawyer to provide that kind of help because the state rules of professional conduct do not clearly sanction unbundling of legal services, leaving the lawyer to worry about what kind of liability in malpractice and professional responsibility the lawyer faces. There are potential problems for the lawyer in giving advice on just parts of the client's case when the client screws up his/her parts of it and then tries to apportion blame to the lawyer. That is one significant reason why it is still the case that it can be hard to find a lawyer to provide services a la carte rather than handling the entire case start to finish. One of the states I practice in has started the process of more clearly defining responsibility in unbundled legal service situations to help encourage lawyers to be willing to provide more of that, but it's going to take time for a lot of lawyers to feel comfortable doing it.

Utterly irrelevant. Call them Bob or Gracie.
I'm not responding if you call me Bob, or Gracie...or George. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

An attorney who provides you advice and assistance with your case but does not appear in court for you is sometimes referred to as advisory counsel. But that doesn't really help you search for an attorney because few if any specialize in providing that service. Indeed, in many states it is difficult for a lawyer to provide that kind of help because the state rules of professional conduct do not clearly sanction unbundling of legal services, leaving the lawyer to worry about what kind of liability in malpractice and professional responsibility the lawyer faces. There are potential problems for the lawyer in giving advice on just parts of the client's case when the client screws up his/her parts of it and then tries to apportion blame to the lawyer. That is one significant reason why it is still the case that it can be hard to find a lawyer to provide services a la carte rather than handling the entire case start to finish. One of the states I practice in has started the process of more clearly defining responsibility in unbundled legal service situations to help encourage lawyers to be willing to provide more of that, but it's going to take time for a lot of lawyers to feel comfortable doing it.

I'm not responding if you call me Bob, or Gracie...or George.:rolleyes:
This is a great answer...Thank You Fred!!

quincy

Fred mentioned that attorneys in some states are exploring offering on-demand or as-needed general counsel.

There are attorneys already offering this, often to businesses that are too small to have their own in-house counsel but also to individuals who retain these attorneys for legal advice as needed.

trump76638 may have to do a bit of searching for an attorney in Florida who will offer the type of guidance he seeks, however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">