• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I used my aunts checking account and she says i did not ask her permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryan6010

Nevada

I am on permanent disability. I go out of my way to help my family out with many things and I have helped my aunt who lives in California and I live in Southern Nevada. I had asked her if she would help him with a bill and said yes. I used her checking account to pay and AT&T bill (past due for three months) for: $1,600.00. Now the aunt doesn't remember and saw the charges and reported them as unauthorized charges. I told her about this and asked her not to prosecute me and would return her funds. Again, I don't know if she will move forward to prosecute or not. I am now worried that the police are coming to my door to arrest me. Can you help me?

adjusterjack

You "told" her you would return the funds?

How about just sending her a cashier's check for the money by over night mail. The quicker you do that the less chance you have of being arrested.

Paying is paying. Talking about paying is not paying.

bryan6010

Thank you. But the bank is still doing their investigation. My aunt started the investigation this past Monday and the bank stated it will take about a week. They may reject the payment I made to AT&T and then i would have to repay the bill myself. Should I just wait until the bank concludes their investigation before I do anything?

quincy

Thank you. But the bank is still doing their investigation. My aunt started the investigation this past Monday and the bank stated it will take about a week. They may reject the payment I made to AT&T and then i would have to repay the bill myself. Should I just wait until the bank concludes their investigation before I do anything?
You do not have to wait for the investigation to be completed. You can pay her now the $1600 you withdrew from her account.

justalayman

Your phone bill is over $500 per month?

If you have financial issues, maybe trimming whatever you are doing thst costs over $500 per month would be a good place to start.

Until then, send her the money as the others have directed you to do. If the payment from your aunts bank is ultimately rejected, ask her to refund the money to you.

LdiJ

She can cancel the investigation once she gets the money from you.

Do you have $1600 that you can send her?
I kind of disagree. I think its worth waiting until the bank completes their investigation. It would be one thing if the OP had extra money lying around but he clearly does not, or he wouldn't have had to borrow money from his aunt in the first place.

quincy

I kind of disagree. I think its worth waiting until the bank completes their investigation. It would be one thing if the OP had extra money lying around but he clearly does not, or he wouldn't have had to borrow money from his aunt in the first place.
Paying now potentially can prevent prosecution.

justalayman

I see this similar to a bounced check issue. If you repay the debt as soon as it becomes known, some states do not consider it to be a criminal act. If the person delays paying it proves intent.

I see the op’s situation in a similar fashion. If there was no intent to steal, repay the money now. It can go a long way in how those investigating this view the op and their intent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">