• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree roots caused damage to water lines. Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sclyne721

What is the name of your state? Florida

What's the best way to go about getting the most cost effective work done to repair tree roots that have damaged the water lines in my yard?

I don't know what to do.... I was told its not sewer so the county doesn't have any responsibility. and I don't know if its covered under my homeowners.. its in the grey area. No water has come into the house so there isn't any damage there. Its repairing, replacing the pipes. The sidewalk has to be dug up and the roots need removing.

To further complicate things, the contractor that came out eluded the damage may have originated under the sidewalk from a tree that is on the patch of grass between the sidewalk and street. The homeowners association rep we spoke with said that was not their responsibility. I am in the process of reviewing the bylaws and I am wondering how to tell where the property lines are drawn. I have no idea where to find that info...

The first estimate was a lot. I could use some advice..

Thanks in advance

LdiJ

What's the best way to go about getting the most cost effective work done to repair tree roots that have damaged the water lines in my yard?

I don't know what to do.... I was told its not sewer so the county doesn't have any responsibility. and I don't know if its covered under my homeowners.. its in the grey area. No water has come into the house so there isn't any damage there. Its repairing, replacing the pipes. The sidewalk has to be dug up and the roots need removing.

To further complicate things, the contractor that came out eluded the damage may have originated under the sidewalk from a tree that is on the patch of grass between the sidewalk and street. The homeowners association rep we spoke with said that was not their responsibility. I am in the process of reviewing the bylaws and I am wondering how to tell where the property lines are drawn. I have no idea where to find that info...

Thanks in advance
Replacing water/sewer lines due to tree root damage is just one of those things that a homeowner has to do to maintain his/her property. Its nothing that is going to be covered by insurance or anything that you can force another entity to take responsibility for. Its just part of the cost of owning a home.

Get some more estimates.

TigerD

1. Who is your water provider?
2. Did the damaged to the service line occur between the meter and the house or on the service side of the meter?

Generally speaking: The water provider is responsible for repair up to and including the water meter. You are responsible for repairs for the lines between the meter and your home.

LdiJ

2. Did the damaged to the service line occur between the meter and the house or on the service side of the meter?

Generally speaking: The water provider is responsible for repair up to and including the water meter. You are responsible for repairs for the lines between the meter and your home.
That is not true in all states...particularly for sewer lines. No, I really should qualify that. The placement of water meters varies a great deal from state to state and maybe even from municipality to municipality. Not also states follow the rules about before and after the meter and not all meters are place in what would be a logical place for before and after the meter.

Example, the tree roots from my tree, on my lot damaged the sewer and water lines to my house and it was my responsibility to replace/fix them. It was immaterial where my meter was located.

Just Blue

That is not true in all states...particularly for sewer lines. No, I really should qualify that. The placement of water meters varies a great deal from state to state and maybe even from municipality to municipality. Not also states follow the rules about before and after the meter and not all meters are place in what would be a logical place for before and after the meter.

Example, the tree roots from my tree, on my lot damaged the sewer and water lines to my house and it was my responsibility to replace/fix them. It was immaterial where my meter was located.
The only state that matters for this OP is Florida. So is your ^ post applicable to Florida?

justalayman

that is not the case in my area. The meter is at (actuslly in) the buikding but there is a shut off near the main waterline at the road. The homeowner is responsible for anything on the house side of the shut off valve.

I think op needs to check what they are liable for in their area.

paddywakk

Thanks in advance
I
In my city, such trees belong to you, and you are required to maintain the tree. If you want to cut it down - then it all of a sudden belongs to the city and you have no right to cut it down. I won't be surprised if you find there are similar laws in your city

FlyingRon

Don't I know it. After our east coast earthquake a few years back I noticed there was a lot of water pooling at the end of my driveway. Sure enough it was a broken water line to our house and after the demarkation point but before the meter (which was in my basement). I ended up fixing it but I wasn't getting billed for all that excess water...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">