• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Object to grandparents rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SweetPeaMamaof3

GA
Served a petition for grandparents rights today. She (my mother, the petitioner) has mental issues, supposedly dementia. She has been arrested 3 times (once when my kids were with her), she currently has a warrant for her arrest, & she is a narcissist. She was allowed contact with my kids while my dad was alive, but since his death over 7 months ago, we have had no contact. I need to know what my rights are going forward...what steps I need to take. As a single mother, I can not afford an elaborate attorney, but I must protect my kids. HELP!

LdiJ

GA
Served a petition for grandparents rights today. She (my mother, the petitioner) has mental issues, supposedly dementia. She has been arrested 3 times (once when my kids were with her), she currently has a warrant for her arrest, & she is a narcissist. She was allowed contact with my kids while my dad was alive, but since his death over 7 months ago, we have had no contact. I need to know what my rights are going forward...what steps I need to take. As a single mother, I can not afford an elaborate attorney, but I must protect my kids. HELP!
She has served you a petition for grandparent's rights? If she has mental issues with dementia is someone helping her/urging her to file for grandparent's visitation rights? With her being arrested while your children were with her, plus her having a warrant out for her arrest now, plus her having mental issues and dementia it would almost be a slam dunk against her getting any rights at all.

However, if she has honestly filed a petition for GPV you do need to defend it properly.

SweetPeaMamaof3

She has served you a petition for grandparent's rights? If she has mental issues with dementia is someone helping her/urging her to file for grandparent's visitation rights? With her being arrested while your children were with her, plus her having a warrant out for her arrest now, plus her having mental issues and dementia it would almost be a slam dunk against her getting any rights at all.

However, if she has honestly filed a petition for GPV you do need to defend it properly.

SweetPeaMamaof3

Yes. Petition was served today.
I have researched all night & all I find are steps for the grandparents to take to get visitation, no where can I find what steps I need to follow. It says I have 30 days to respond.
No one is telling her to do this, she is doing it out of spite. She doesn't truly have dementia, she just used that as a means to weasel out of her 3 shoplifting charges. She does take medication, is an alcoholic, & sees a psychiatrist.

adjusterjack

I have researched all night & all I find are steps for the grandparents to take to get visitation, no where can I find what steps I need to follow. It says I have 30 days to respond.
I haven't found specific instructions for Georgia but I have found a packet of forms and instructions from Arizona. It should give you some hints as to how to create your response to your mother's petition.

https://superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/media/2562/drgv3z.pdf

I hope it's obvious to you that you just take whatever bits and pieces from the sample as are useful to you.

If it only makes you more confused then you'd better figure out a way to hire a lawyer. Your defense might be a slam dunk but only if you get the procedures right. Many a slam dunk case has been lost in court on a technicality.

SweetPeaMamaof3

Thanks, adjusterjack. I have contacted 2 attorneys & I am waiting for their call back.
I just hope this is not a long, drawn out process that I can not afford...that is what she is banking on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">