• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American Airlines refuse us to check in because of no luggage!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

utsanita

We have spent some time in Colombia Bogota. Our ticket for the return flight to Miami was booked with Avianca and was delayed. In order not to wait that long, we booked with American airlines online a ticket that made it possible for us to fly back to Miami much earlier. We changed our ticket with Avianca to another date as we are going to Bogota on the 9th of February. As we already checked in for the Avianca flight we asked if we can pick up our luggage from the luggage department of the airport of Bogota on the 9th of February. No problem as long as we show the receipts of the suitcases.
All fine so far.
When we wanted to check in without suitcases with American Airlines they refused us because we do not have any luggage. We explained all and they treat us bad, ignoring and not listening but no way to check in. That is the Policy of American Airlines.
I explained that I have no suitcases as we are flying to Bogota on the 9th of February (2 weeks later). Airport luggage information point told us that it is no problem but no way. They simply refused us to go onboard. We asked for the supervisor and she was not available. Even 3 hours later we went back asked again for the supervisor but not available. We also asked for a copy of the policy where is stated that you have to check in luggage or they refuse you but they told us American Airlines policy is for each country the same. So we booked again for the ticket with Avianca to go to Miami. Now I don't have my money back of the tickets I bought. I called American Airlines USA and they say that it is their policy !!!! Check with the people of American Airlines at the Bogota airport. No money back. I also asked if it is their policy to refuse people onboard that has no luggage and of course the answer was: "Sorry I can not get into this". Do I have a case?? If so who wants to help on no cure no pay? C

utsanita

This is for US law matters. We booked online with American Airlines aa.com and they have one policy and has nothing to do with the airport of Bogota.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is for US law matters. We booked online with American Airlines aa.com and they have one policy and has nothing to do with the airport of Bogota.
Your matter is covered by the laws of your location.

adjusterjack

Do I have a case??
I have no idea.

If so who wants to help on no cure no pay? C
The chances of getting any lawyer to take this on a contingency are slim to none. Be prepared to pay hourly rates to hire one. Or, file a dispute with your credit card company to see if you can get a chargeback, if there is still time to do that.

Sorry - this forum is for US law matters only.
Last time I looked Miami Florida was still in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">