• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two-state unemployment benefit questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pipan

Hello

I was working as a full time regular employee in Ohio from 2012 until July 2018.
Moved to TX and started working full time regular employee from July 2018 until the lay off date of mid November 2018. My pay in TX was about twice as much as that in Ohio.
I want to apply for unemployment benefits. Which state should I apply for, TX or Ohio? If I can apply for either of those, which one could be better?

Thank you.
Pipan

PayrollHRGuy

You apply where you last worked and live. There is an interstate system, Texas will "see" both your TX and OH income as needed.

Pipan

Thanks. I had talked to TX about it, and they had told me it is optional for me where to file. But did not give me "fine prints". The pay in Ohio is higher however. TX said if I applied for Ohio, Ohio would pay based on my Texas salary (twice as much as OH salary), which seems to be a bit strange.

Chyvan

If you think you'll be out of work a long time, then you'll probably want to hit up OH first. Then when the claim exhausts in 26 weeks, the TX wages will have aged into the base period, and you can hit TX up for another 26 weeks. Same applies if you think you're going to have a hard time getting a job that you can keep for a prolonged period of time.

If you think you'll be getting a good job right away, then go for the highest weekly benefit you can get.

Pipan

Thank you Chyvan. TX says if you apply (receive?!) benefits from OH, you cannot apply for 1 year with TX.

justalayman

You apply where you last worked and live. There is an interstate system, Texas will "see" both your TX and OH income as needed.
Not true.

You can apply in any states you have earned income during their qualifying period (I believe it is starting 5 quarters of a year back from the date of application )

Op needs to weigh the pay out (weekly amount) and the duration of payments and determine which benefits himthen most

He also needs to see if he can file via mail or internet in Ohio before making the decision. If he has to file in person, the cost and ability to go to Ohio to file may force him to just file in Texas.

justalayman

If you think you'll be out of work a long time, then you'll probably want to hit up OH first. Then when the claim exhausts in 26 weeks, the TX wages will have aged into the base period, and you can hit TX up for another 26 weeks. .
Um, I think you’re wrong. You don’t get to double dip from the same ui insurance payments and that is what you are describing.

Chyvan

You don’t get to double dip from the same ui insurance payments
It's not the same, it's two different states. It's not double dipping. He uses the quarters from OH to get an OH claim, and he can use the TX quarters to get a TX claim. Claimants in the know can manipulate their benefits to their advantage.

Pipan

It's not the same, it's two different states. It's not double dipping. He uses the quarters from OH to get an OH claim, and he can use the TX quarters to get a TX claim. Claimants in the know can manipulate their benefits to their advantage.
I am sorry may be I did not get the point, but do you mean I may qualify to get benefits from both states? and if so, simultaneously?

justalayman

To do,it and it not be double dipping applicant would have to qualify without the other state’s income which pretty much means they won’t qualify

When there is an interstate claim, the non claimant state transfer their ui insurance payments to the claiming state which is why you can have a claim involving multiple states

justalayman

I am sorry may be I did not get the point, but do you mean I may qualify to get benefits from both states? and if so, simultaneously?
Extremely unlikely. Unless you qualify for each state independent of the other states earnings you won’t qualify for both states. The fact you would be unemployed during the claim duration from the first state for 6 months, you would have to be able to qualify in the second state under some alternate qualification method since you wouldn’t have income for the first 4 of the 5 qualification quarters.

Given op worked only 5 months in Texas and that covers only 2 quarters of the 4, it’s unlikely op would qualify independently in Texas.

justalayman

To do,it and it not be double dipping applicant would have to qualify without the other state’s income which pretty much means they won’t qualify

When there is an interstate claim, the non claimant state transfer their ui insurance payments to the claiming state which is why you can have a claim involving multiple states

Oh, and you don’t get to choose to not file an interstate claim. Whether op files in Texas or Ohio, they will grab the insurance paid to the other state during the qualification period. Ohio will take the ui insurance paid during the time op worked in Texas so there will be no ui insurance payments made to Texas from which the op could draw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">