• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Wire Transfer Mistake and the Following Events

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adrian.jecan

Hello,

I have an issue with a wire transfer which doesn't seem either fair or legal, from my point of view, but I want to check the legal part with someone entitled.

I made an international bank transfer to a bank in China, in USD. The initial mistake from where all started, was the fact that the recipient name had a very very long name and my banking app has a character limit for this, so I filled in basically the entire recipient name (very long) without the Co,Ltd. at the end. I didn't think this will be a problem.

Anyway, after one week of not receiving the money, my recipient checked with the bank and they actually received my transfer in the very next day but because in China the banks require that recipient name match exactly the name of the account holder, they didn't put the money in the recipient's account. Ok, fair enough, I understand this.

The problem was that they neither rejected the transfer nor announced any of the parties. So basically they just kept the money and if my recipient wouldn't check with them, they wouldn't say or do anything about that. So because of these, I have a delay with the payment and I have to pay some fees to my recipient because of this. But anyway, this is the consequence of what happened.

What I want to know is, if it is legal what they did because I guess there are international laws to which all the banks from anywhere in the world have to join and obey.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

quincy

Hello,

I have an issue with a wire transfer which doesn't seem either fair or legal, from my point of view, but I want to check the legal part with someone entitled.

I made an international bank transfer to a bank in China, in USD. The initial mistake from where all started, was the fact that the recipient name had a very very long name and my banking app has a character limit for this, so I filled in basically the entire recipient name (very long) without the Co,Ltd. at the end. I didn't think this will be a problem.

Anyway, after one week of not receiving the money, my recipient checked with the bank and they actually received my transfer in the very next day but because in China the banks require that recipient name match exactly the name of the account holder, they didn't put the money in the recipient's account. Ok, fair enough, I understand this.

The problem was that they neither rejected the transfer nor announced any of the parties. So basically they just kept the money and if my recipient wouldn't check with them, they wouldn't say or do anything about that. So because of these, I have a delay with the payment and I have to pay some fees to my recipient because of this. But anyway, this is the consequence of what happened.

What I want to know is, if it is legal what they did because I guess there are international laws to which all the banks from anywhere in the world have to join and obey.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Are you located in the U.S.? If so, what is the name of your state?

If what the bank in China did follows the laws in China, there is little you can do.

You probably should have informed the intended recipient of the transfer that you made the transfer so they could be prepared for it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you couldn't do the wire properly through the app, then you should have done it in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">