• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police be held responsible for impound fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bboyars

The answer to this question might answer a few questions I have about the actions here ...

You say there was a VIN. Okay, great. But, was there a VIN plate visible on the dashboard? If that VIN plate was removed or covered, that could explain why things transpired as they did.
Yes the vin is in fact visible on the dash. When the cop was shining his where the vin is and said "see no vin" but didn't actually allow me to get any closure to the car to actually see anything.

CdwJava

Yes the vin is in fact visible on the dash. When the cop was shining his where the vin is and said "see no vin" but didn't actually allow me to get any closure to the car to actually see anything.
So, the VIN plate was not concealed and was not damaged in any way?

As I previously mentioned, the owner of the vehicle can request a post storage hearing about the car - though they really should get it out of impound, first! And, you can let your attorney know all you can so they can piece together all the facts and make the right call as to how to proceed. We here don't know why the police might have sought to impound the car. But, if the cause to impound the car was valid, then the subsequent search incident to that impound generally will be good as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">