• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Protection Services. California, Shasta County. CPS giving out info to accused party.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gonephishing

My question is..Can CPS give out information on who is calling and reporting on that person? Just received a nasty text from my Ex who lives far away stating I have been calling CPS on her and Slashed her tires. Now I have called on her before about 7 years ago and she lost custody of our daughter for Child abuse. Our daughter has been with me ever since. Any way. She texted me tonight and said I was calling CPS again which I haven't. No need to but she gave me the names of two people. One a Officer and the other from CPS stating I have called. Like I said, I have no reason to. Isn't against the law to give out that info? especially to the person who is being reported. I thought it was supposed to be private?

Just Blue

My question is..Can CPS give out information on who is calling and reporting on that person? Just received a nasty text from my Ex who lives far away stating I have been calling CPS on her and Slashed her tires. Now I have called on her before about 7 years ago and she lost custody of our daughter for Child abuse. Our daughter has been with me ever since. Any way. She texted me tonight and said I was calling CPS again which I haven't. No need to but she gave me the names of two people. One a Officer and the other from CPS stating I have called. Like I said, I have no reason to. Isn't against the law to give out that info? especially to the person who is being reported. I thought it was supposed to be private?
Well as you have denied calling the ex is obviously lying to scare a confession out of you.

CdwJava

If you are telling the truth here and you did NOT call CPS, then clearly the info your ex has related to you is bogus. As Just Blue points out, it seems that your ex is bluffing.

gonephishing

Like I said, no need to. Our daughter lives here. I have zero issues with her. I have a semi normal life here with our daughter. I haven't seen the Ex in over a year. Her mothers only communication with our daughter is Face Time on Facebook Messenger. Even that's rare.

commentator

You don't mention a state or location, but as someone who has worked for several government agencies with "tipster hot lines" to report fraud and particularly children's protective services, whatever its called in your state, I can pretty much assure you that under no circumstances does a person have a right to "know who turned them in!" Usually that's the first question they ask.

When a person calls in and reports suspected child abuse, they do take down the information about you, but that information, AND the disposition of the report or complaint are things that do not get further passed. The person called in on doesn't get told who reported them, and the person making the call doesn't get called back and told what happened as a result of their call. The way people find out someone has reported them, 99% of the time is that the person who did brags to friends, "I called in on that witch! I've fixed her!" and it gets back to the person.

I suggest that you break off all contact with your ex except for the formal and documented communications ( I suggest by messenger services) necessary for the relationship with your daughter to continue. Drama junkies love to involve others in their drama, enjoy it less when they can't talk to you and argue with you and listen to you cringe and deny and get involved with their accusations. Failing to acknowledge this person's hogwash is the best thing you can do if it is not directly related to something related to your daughter's needs.

CdwJava

While information regarding complainants making reports to CPS are supposed to be confidential, there are many circumstances where the nature of the complaint makes it clear who made the report once the agency inquires with the alleged suspect. There are also accidental disclosures, and even the possibility that a cross-report to the police might result in a criminal investigation which could lead to a greater likelihood of information being relayed. But, I doubt that any of this happened here as it seems more than likely that the Ex is blowing smoke.

As a note, I am familiar with a good many social workers at Shasta County CPS.

gonephishing

So I spoke with with CWS or CPS today and voiced my concerns with what's going on. I gave her the ladies name that my Ex said was giving her info on past and present calls to their office. Explaining to her that I have zero contact other than our daughter I have custody of talking back and forth on Messenger. She has a 3 year old who she has no idea who the father is. Sometimes it's me and other times I'm not but that is who I'm supposedly calling about. Her 3 year old. So it's in Humboldt county. Ive also left a message for the Ombudsman in Humboldt county. Now it's a waiting game for these two agencies to get back to me. Ive also have been printing out the texts my Ex has been sending me. She is accusing me of harrasment when clearly it's her. Texts don't lie! They are Nasty!!

gonephishing

So today I spoke with the ombudsman today and she was able to give me some info on the case. She wasn't able to see me in any of the notes as one of the callers. She did provide the first and last name of the case worker on this one. Her name just happens to be Karen like I stated above. They (Ombudsman) are going to investigate this person Karen and find out if in fact she has been giving out info to my Ex. CWS is also investigating her as well. Hopefully I get some more info the following week. Then if there is a info leak I will be filling charges against them.

Just Blue

So today I spoke with the ombudsman today and she was able to give me some info on the case. She wasn't able to see me in any of the notes as one of the callers. She did provide the first and last name of the case worker on this one. Her name just happens to be Karen like I stated above. They (Ombudsman) are going to investigate this person Karen and find out if in fact she has been giving out info to my Ex. CWS is also investigating her as well. Hopefully I get some more info the following week. Then if there is a info leak I will be filling charges against them.
I thought you said you didn't report the ex to CPS?

CdwJava

If you have not been contacting CPS in the past 7 years, then how can anyone be providing information that you have? Did you lie about that?

As for getting more info, don't count on it. Internal personnel matters are largely confidential. You might be able to learn that an investigation is going on, but you should not be privy to what - if any - discipline might be applied to anyone who violated the rules. If a criminal violation is uncovered and pursued, then you MIGHT be called as a witness, but absent that it will be an internal (personnel) matter.

Also, as I mentioned before, it is not always possible to prevent someone from deducing who a complaining party might be depending upon the specific information provided. Often, it is not difficult to figure out who the complaining party was if there was only one witness to an incident being described by the social worker or police officer.

gonephishing

I thought you said you didn't report the ex to CPS?
I did about 6 years ago. That was a different case which led to me getting custody of our daughter, this is a different case that I have nothing to do with. As I stated above the Ombudsman stated that in their notes there is no mention of me in any of their notes on this open case. I'm more concerned about Karen giving out the info to my ex. The Ombudsman and CWS are both investigating the issue to make sure in fact she is not giving out the info in both cases. Both agencies said she should have never giving out any info period. Open or Closed case. This whole situation is stressing me out. My Ex keeps sending nasty texts and harassing me.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I really don't know why you think any information was given about you in this instance. Your ex is making things up and you are falling for it.

gonephishing

I really don't know why you think any information was given about you in this instance. Your ex is making things up and you are falling for it.
She is mentioning things from the past "Closed Case" that were never even mentioned in court when she lost Custody of our daughter. Omsbudsman said my Ex should not know any of these details period. My Ex is blaming for Past and Present calls. Like I stated above, I have NOT made any calls to CPS for this new case against her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">