• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I expect in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CD1777

Drug trafficking first offense
I have never been in trouble before. I got charged with drug trafficking a controlled substance. I attempted to get 2, oxymorphone pills into a mental health facility to a patient residing there. There is video of the incident. I am an honorably discharged army veteran. There was a warrant for my arrest. Was arrested in Missouri. I signed the extradition papers for KY to extradite me from MO. I served 2 weeks time total. Didnt cause any problems in jail. What am I looking at? I have court on Friday. I got released from KY with an Own recognizance release.

CD1777

I have never been in trouble before. I got charged with drug trafficking a controlled substance. I attempted to get 2, oxymorphone pills into a mental health facility to a patient residing there. There is video of the incident. I am an honorably discharged army veteran. There was a warrant for my arrest. Was arrested in Missouri. I signed the extradition papers for KY to extradite me from MO. I served 2 weeks time total. Didnt cause any problems in jail. What am I looking at? I have court on Friday. I got released from KY with an Own recognizance release.
Edit: this incident occurred 1.5 years ago. I had no idea that I had a warrant. I didn’t know they caught me, I had left the rehab facility and they opened up the dip can that the pills were concealed in.

CD1777

Also, I have never been in trouble before. My record is clean other than a few speeding tickets. I am 23 years old. I am a male. And I am white. I am just trying to give as much info as possible to you guys. Thank you. All responses are welcome, but I would prefer honest answers. I am worried about court. Judge told me I could serve 5 years in prison.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well then, it sounds like you could serve 5 years.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, then see if you qualify for a public defender.

Your color should be irrelevant.

Attempting to smuggle opiodes into a rehab facility... just, why? Aside from the illegality, why were you trying to undermine someone's treatment? That's a rhetorical question - I don't expect you to answer that here, but it's something you'll have to work out with your lawyer, and surely will arise in court, because it doesn't sound like you are disputing the facts.

CD1777

Well then, it sounds like you could serve 5 years.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, then see if you qualify for a public defender.

Your color should be irrelevant.

Attempting to smuggle opiodes into a rehab facility... just, why? Aside from the illegality, why were you trying to undermine someone's treatment? That's a rhetorical question - I don't expect you to answer that here, but it's something you'll have to work out with your lawyer, and surely will arise in court, because it doesn't sound like you are disputing the facts.
As I understand it, the judge has to tell me the maximum sentence. But I will be appointed a public attorney, was trying to see if anyone knew what they usually do in this situation in KY. Thanks for the reply!!

CD1777

As I understand it, the judge has to tell me the maximum sentence. But I will be appointed a public attorney, was trying to see if anyone knew what they usually do in this situation in KY. Thanks for the reply!!
I am an addict, it was the only way I could get my fix that day. It’s the nature of addiction to do whatever it takes to get rid of withdrawals. I know it was not morally right to do, but when I are in active addiction you do a lot of stuff that isn’t right. And yes I am telling the facts.

quincy

Your attorney can tell you what you can expect.

It is not in your best interest to speak of your crime on a public forum. You should say nothing to anyone but your attorney.

Thank you for your service to this country. I hope you get help for your addiction.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I think you need to say fewer facts publically and save them for your attorney.

I think you need to realize that although you feel like the addiction is an explanation, that legally it is not a justification. You were caught once, but from the context, it is clear that you broke the law more than once.

Hopefully you have since made better progress at getting/staying clean.

Good luck maintaining your sobriety! Staying clean will help you look more sympathetic.

CD1777

Your attorney can tell you what you can expect.

It is not in your best interest to speak of your crime on a public forum. You should say nothing to anyone but your attorney.

Thank you for your service to this country. I hope you get help for your addiction.
Thanks for the advice. You’re definitely right. I’m just trying to give as much info as possible lol. I will not be fighting this, so I didn’t really mind if I put it out there , but you’re right. I’ll be speaking with my attorney before court, jus trying to get a little prepared for what to expect. Thanks for the reply! And I’ve been clean for a year now, it’s a battle everyday but I am coping well. As far as the army service goes, don’t thank me, it was my duty to serve this amazing country. I believe everyone should serve at least one contract, to give back to the country. Just my opinion though, which means nothing lol

CD1777

I think you need to say fewer facts publically and save them for your attorney.

I think you need to realize that although you feel like the addiction is an explanation, that legally it is not a justification. You were caught once, but from the context, it is clear that you broke the law more than once.

Hopefully you have since made better progress at getting/staying clean.

Good luck maintaining your sobriety! Staying clean will help you look more sympathetic.
Thank you for the reply. I am new to this, but u guys are right, I should not disclose so much info, but like I said I am jus tryna give all the info for the most accurate responses.

quincy

Thanks for the advice. You’re definitely right. I’m just trying to give as much info as possible lol. I will not be fighting this, so I didn’t really mind if I put it out there , but you’re right. I’ll be speaking with my attorney before court, jus trying to get a little prepared for what to expect. Thanks for the reply! And I’ve been clean for a year now, it’s a battle everyday but I am coping well. As far as the army service goes, don’t thank me, it was my duty to serve this amazing country. I believe everyone should serve at least one contract, to give back to the country. Just my opinion though, which means nothing lol
Here is a link to a thread posted to this forum in 2007. The topic of the thread does not in any way apply to you nor do all of the "tips" apply - but the advice offered by forum member "senior judge" is instructive. See Post #6.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/missed-court-date-but-no-warrant-yet.349079/
Good luck.

CD1777

CD1777

Good. :)

Good luck.
Thanks, I think I’ll be alright. I don’t think they would have released me with an OR if they were planning on giving me more time. That is the only thing I am worried about, is going back to jail or prison. Probation would suck too but it may be the best thing for me. It would help my sobriety with drug tests and what not. Nothing I can do about the situation at this time, just gotta stay positive and respectful and just accept whatever happens. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

CD1777

B
Thanks, I think I’ll be alright. I don’t think they would have released me with an OR if they were planning on giving me more time. That is the only thing I am worried about, is going back to jail or prison. Probation would suck too but it may be the best thing for me. It would help my sobriety with drug tests and what not. Nothing I can do about the situation at this time, just gotta stay positive and respectful and just accept whatever happens. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
ut then again, I have no clue what will happen. Idk anything really about the court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">