• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age/Disability Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwitt8178

I am writing on behalf of a good friend of mine, who recently received 60 day notice to vacate (in a text message) from his landlord. Shortly after receiving the notice, I received a voicemail from his landlord, stating the reason for 60 day notice to vacate, was due to my friend's age/disability. The landlord claims that he is afraid that my friend will injure himself on the property due to his age/disability. I am trying to determine what recourse my friend has handling this issue.

1. We currently reside in California
  2. My friend's lease expired and he is currently on a month-to-month agreement
  3. My friend is 68 years old and is handicapped from a leg injury he received when he was young
  4. Both the voicemail and text confirms the reason provided was due to age/disability

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am writing on behalf of a good friend of mine, who recently received 60 day notice to vacate (in a text message) from his landlord. Shortly after receiving the notice, I received a voicemail from his landlord, stating the reason for 60 day notice to vacate, was due to my friend's age/disability. The landlord claims that he is afraid that my friend will injure himself on the property due to his age/disability. I am trying to determine what recourse my friend has handling this issue.

1. We currently reside in California
  2. My friend's lease expired and he is currently on a month-to-month agreement
  3. My friend is 68 years old and is handicapped from a leg injury he received when he was young
  4. Both the voicemail and text confirms the reason provided was due to age/disability
A text message is not proper notice.
Why are you getting information about this from the LL?

mwitt8178

I completely understand that a text message is not proper written notice, the LL seems to do things his "own" way. The LL reached out to me because I once lived at another unit within the property and he wanted me to "help" my friend find another place to live. So the question still remains, what recourse does my friend have?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I completely understand that a text message is not proper written notice, the LL seems to do things his "own" way. The LL reached out to me because I once lived at another unit within the property and he wanted me to "help" my friend find another place to live. So the question still remains, what recourse does my friend have?
Your friend should speak with a local attorney familiar with landlord/tenant matters.

quincy

A landlord does not have to renew a tenant's hlease and the landlord does not have to give a reason for the non-renewal.

However, a landlord cannot refuse to renew a lease based solely on improper reasons (age, sex, race, disability, etc).

I am surprised the landlord stated to you his reasons for nonrenewal of the tenant's lease.

Your friend can challenge the nonrenewal in a letter to the landlord, using as a basis for his challenge the landlord's communications with you.

Your friend can consult with a landlord/tenant attorney in his area for advice and direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">