• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 year old with a pellet gun outside non display for safety

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

... The basic program is really very simple.

If you see a gun STOP, Don't Touch, Run Away, Tell an adult.
That lesson is difficult to teach if you are showing guns in school and teaching kids how to shoot. You will have all of the students running out of the classroom.

PayrollHRGuy

That lesson is difficult to teach if you are showing guns in school and teaching kids how to shoot. You will have all of the students running out of the classroom.
Really quincy? One would assume that an adult would be teaching the children.

CdwJava

Politics should stay out of public schools PERIOD.

I used to teach people to teach the NRA Eddie the Eagle safety program and there was really zero politics in it. But I understand your concerns. I just don't know another entity that could provide the training and is national. The basic program is really very simple.

If you see a gun STOP, Don't Touch, Run Away, Tell an adult.
I was going to say the same thing. While I was never an instructor, and am not a member of the NRA, their firearms training programs appeared to be good, effective, and possessed zero politics in it, which is a far cry from most the social programs contracted to outside organizations within the public schools where I lived and worked. Not to mention the political positions of a great many teachers that found their way into the classroom even when it never should have.

TigerD

While the conversation has moved past TM's request for me to expand, I shall do so anyway:

Yes, firearms safety must be taught prior to allowing anyone to handle a firearm. I believe marksmanship is an essential part of safety training. I've love for students to get 150-200 hours of firearms training prior to graduating high school. If nothing else, people participating in the firearms political debate would have a basis of knowledge from which to discuss it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If nothing else, people participating in the firearms political debate would have a basis of knowledge from which to discuss it.
Frankly I don't see that shooting a gun really does much to inform one on the political issues. I've shot firearms myself — did a bit of that as a kid as my father was (an is) an avid hunter and gun collector — and I can say that experience did not inform me in the least regarding issues like who should not be allowed to possess firearms, what process should be required before one is allowed to purchase or obtain a firearm, what licensing ought to be required, what restrictions should be placed on where one may carry a firearm, etc. About the only issue I can see my firearms practice informing me about is the need for gun safety training before allowing anyone to possess a firearm and the need for adequate hearing protection when using most firearms.

Cooper@1960

I got a different thought about the original post. I thought "displayed for safety" might be referring to the red/orange band on the end of toy guns indenifing them as toys. Yes the title said "pellet gun" but I wondered if the OP was thinking of a pellet gun as a toy (which it's not) or calling an air soft type gun a pellet gun (which it's not)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">