• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple 1095-A forms for tax household - confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esztervtx

My husband & I are filing our taxes married filing jointly, dependents are our 3 kids & my husband's mom (my MIL). We received Advance Tax Credit Payments on our Marketplace insurance plans. That's where the confusion comes in.
We received two separate 1095-A forms: one for my MIL & another for my husband & I. (We had separate insurance plans.)
There is only one place to put these on the tax return/tax software (I'm using taxslayer).
So far, the information I found was to add together Part III Column A from the two forms & do the same with column C, while leave Column B alone (it's the same on both forms, my understanding is NOT to double it).
Then, I am assuming my MIL files her own return (even though she's dependent on ours) & puts the information down there from her own 1095-A only?

Is this correct? Am I doing it all wrong?

LdiJ

My husband & I are filing our taxes married filing jointly, dependents are our 3 kids & my husband's mom (my MIL). We received Advance Tax Credit Payments on our Marketplace insurance plans. That's where the confusion comes in.
We received two separate 1095-A forms: one for my MIL & another for my husband & I. (We had separate insurance plans.)
There is only one place to put these on the tax return/tax software (I'm using taxslayer).
So far, the information I found was to add together Part III Column A from the two forms & do the same with column C, while leave Column B alone (it's the same on both forms, my understanding is NOT to double it).
Then, I am assuming my MIL files her own return (even though she's dependent on ours) & puts the information down there from her own 1095-A only?

Is this correct? Am I doing it all wrong?
You are doing it all wrong. The forms CANNOT be added together, period. If you claim your MIL as your dependent her 1095-A must be included with your tax return. Any income she has also must be reflected on the health insurance forms for your tax return. There has to be a method within Taxslayer for you to include more than one 1095-A and to include any income that she might have.

If you cannot figure it out, then it might be in your best interest to use a tax professional for your taxes...and possibly not one of the national firms. You might possibly want to use someone local that is more experienced.

esztervtx

You are doing it all wrong. The forms CANNOT be added together, period. If you claim your MIL as your dependent her 1095-A must be included with your tax return. Any income she has also must be reflected on the health insurance forms for your tax return. There has to be a method within Taxslayer for you to include more than one 1095-A and to include any income that she might have.

If you cannot figure it out, then it might be in your best interest to use a tax professional for your taxes...and possibly not one of the national firms. You might possibly want to use someone local that is more experienced.
It was actually in Taxslayer's Q&A that I got the idea of adding the two Column As & two Column Cs together from. She only has SS income so AFAIK I can put $0 income for her in that section (I ran through how I'd hypothetically file her taxes and there is $0 on the specific line that the health insurance section asks for dependent's income).

LdiJ

It was actually in Taxslayer's Q&A that I got the idea of adding the two Column As & two Column Cs together from. She only has SS income so AFAIK I can put $0 income for her in that section (I ran through how I'd hypothetically file her taxes and there is $0 on the specific line that the health insurance section asks for dependent's income).
I am sorry but no, for the purposes of health insurance SS income cannot be ignored. Again, I think that you need a tax professional on board for this tax return.

esztervtx

From the horse's mouth (IRS instructions for form 8962)

"Column (a). Enter the annual enrollment premiums from Form 1095-A, line 33, column A. If you have more than one Form 1095-A, add the amounts together and enter the total on Form 8962, line 11, column (a). This amount is the total of your enrollment premiums for the year, including the portion paid by APTC"
While I appreciate your input, according to IRS you do add numbers together if you have more than one form 1095-A.

LdiJ

From the horse's mouth (IRS instructions for form 8962)

"Column (a). Enter the annual enrollment premiums from Form 1095-A, line 33, column A. If you have more than one Form 1095-A, add the amounts together and enter the total on Form 8962, line 11, column (a). This amount is the total of your enrollment premiums for the year, including the portion paid by APTC"
While I appreciate your input, according to IRS you do add numbers together if you have more than one form 1095-A.
Are you doing the return manually? Mailing in a paper return? If so, fine you can do it that way. Just make sure that you send in hard copies of the 1095-As with the return.

However, if you are using software of any kind, you should be entering the 1095-As individually and letting the software do the math. Its just like entering W2s or any other tax forms. You enter them individually and then the software does the math.

esztervtx

Are you doing the return manually? Mailing in a paper return? If so, fine you can do it that way. Just make sure that you send in hard copies of the 1095-As with the return.

However, if you are using software of any kind, you should be entering the 1095-As individually and letting the software do the math. Its just like entering W2s or any other tax forms. You enter them individually and then the software does the math.
I get what you are saying but taxslayer says to do it that way and on the preview Form 8962 looks fine (added together numbers) plus 1095-A says on it NOT to send it to IRS but keep with your tax records. (Does Marketplace not send IRS the same information, anyway?)

Besides that, I figured out WHERE to put my MIL's SS income on MY return but I'm still confused if she herself has to file. Technically SHE wasn't claiming Advance Tax Credit, WE were doing it on her behalf. Is it possible that she's not required to file? Her income is under the filing threshold.

BTW I appreciate your help, truly.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">