• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California HOA Violation Document Request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M E M

I live and have ownership in a California Homeowners Association. Recently I noticed money missing from my dues account (I maintain a positive balance). I contacted the property manager and was told I was fined for a violation. I informed them I wasn't made aware of a hearing or any allegation of a violation. So, I wrote a letter to the Association's law firm requesting a copy of the hearing notice and the outcome notice. They refused stated 'they are not assoc. records per civil code 4525. I think something is very odd is going on. How can I obtain a copy of my violation hearing notice if it exists?

adjusterjack

I informed them I wasn't made aware of a hearing or any allegation of a violation.
Why didn't you demand documentation from him?

They refused stated 'they are not assoc. records per civil code 4525.
Looks like they are correct:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&division=4.&title=&part=5.&chapter=4.&article=2.

How can I obtain a copy of my violation hearing notice if it exists?
Ask the property manager, ask the HOA board. Do it in writing. If they don't comply, you can sue the HOA for your money back.

PS: Why do you maintain a dues account? Seems to me it would make more sense to just pay your dues by check when they are due. That way nobody has free access to your money.

FarmerJ

When you make your written demand send it via certificate of mailing it will give you proof that you had sent to them a letter , no they wont have to sign for it but they cant refuse to sign and ignore postal notice that would go with a certified letter . Also I too agree with the idea of ending their access to your money and switching to just writing a check instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">