• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax transcript for person with foreign tax id number only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cipocip

Hi, I'm a non-US person living abroad, my US stock broker witholds taxes and submits the 1042-S form anually, and this form has my FTIN (foreign tax id number) on it. Since I only have a FTIN, is there a way for me to get the official tax transcript mailed to me by the IRS? Can I use form 4506T-EZ with my FTIN identifier instead of an ITIN or SSN? Thank you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Hi, I'm a non-US person living abroad, my US stock broker witholds taxes and submits the 1042-S form anually, and this form has my FTIN (foreign tax id number) on it. Since I only have a FTIN, is there a way for me to get the official tax transcript mailed to me by the IRS? Can I use form 4506T-EZ with my FTIN identifier instead of an ITIN or SSN? Thank you.
What you have is an ITIN if it was issued by the IRS. There is no separate thing called a foreign tax idenification number. See the IRS page on Taxpayer Identification Numbers. And yes, you can get transcripts using your ITIN on Form 4506-T-EZ for Form 1040 series returns (e.g. Form 1040-NR).

cipocip

Thank you for your answer. However, look at a sample 1042-S, and you will see that there is something called FTIN. Quoting from the IRS website "If the sole purpose of supplying a TIN is to request treaty benefits, the recipient’s Foreign TIN can also now be used to identify the recipient that is a resident of a treaty country." I will study my 1042-S as soon as my broker sends it to me in two weeks, however I doubt that I was assigned an ITIN automatically.

LdiJ

What you have is an ITIN if it was issued by the IRS. There is no separate thing called a foreign tax idenification number. See the IRS page on Taxpayer Identification Numbers. And yes, you can get transcripts using your ITIN on Form 4506-T-EZ for Form 1040 series returns (e.g. Form 1040-NR).
I googled FTIN and have found some sources that reference an FTIN (Foreign Tax Identification Number). Specifically bank written articles that discuss the fact that they must provide their Foreign Tax Identification Number and they define it as a number issued by a country other than the US. So he might not be talking about an ITIN. He might actually be talking about his TIN from the country where he resides.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I googled FTIN and have found some sources that reference an FTIN (Foreign Tax Identification Number). Specifically bank written articles that discuss the fact that they must provide their Foreign Tax Identification Number and they define it as a number issued by a country other than the US. So he might not be talking about an ITIN. He might actually be talking about his TIN from the country where he resides.
Right, which is why I expressly stated that if the number was issued by the IRS it's an ITIN. If the OP does not have an ITIN then he cannot have filed a Form 1040-NR as the ITIN is required for that and thus there would be no transcript to provide him. If he needs to file a Form 1040-NR he needs to get an ITIN if he doesn't have one. A FTIN (or whatever it might be called) issued by a foreign government or entity is useless in requesting transcripts from the IRS.

cipocip

Ok, thank you for your answers (I haven't filed anything myself, the broker takes care of the witholdings automatically, too bad I cannot get official IRS proof for my local tax authorities without an ITIN).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">