• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do to get my money back ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Griff64

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I answered an ad for a house for rent . I gave them $1250.00 cash for Deposit

. We agreed if I paid March rent $1250.00 I could start moving my stuff in . No lease was signed, this was on Feb.15Th. I was left a key and arrived the 16the to clean and move some things in . We found a leak under bathroom sink and washing machine was full of filthy water and leaking all the way to kitchen. I could not move my stuff in cause of water/mold and having to leave unlocked for maintenence man .Long story I gave them 4 days to fix these problems . On the 20the I called and said I could not move in due to mold I have COPD and am on oxygen . I would like my money back . They said they spent it

Last edited:

quincy

You paid $1250 without looking at the property first?

Were you given a receipt for the deposit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't believe that you are entitled to get the money back based only on what you've said.

Griff64

You paid $1250 without looking at the property first?

Were you given a receipt for the deposit?
Yes I have receipts for all $2500.00 . We never filled out a lease . The maintenance man put a bucket under the sink and said the owner knew about it but didn't want to have to turn the water off again to fix it ! I figured what if something bigger down the road happened how long would it take them to fix something major . The washing machine was broke for 7 days nasty water in it and leaking under the tiles. I called them to let them know I didn't feel safe there , they wouldn't fix the water issues and they were supposed to fix part of a fence for my dog . The accountant said they spent the money and she would call the owner and call me back. I left more than 5 messages and an email saying if they didn't return my money I was coming with the police . I did go with the police , they could not take sides . I believe it is against the law to spend deposit money it is to go in a separate account . So I am told .

FarmerJ

Call building inspections about the leaks and get them to order those leaks to be repaired by the landlord and then move in The landlord will not be able to ignore city housing inspector orders with out a consequence and if the LL does ignore inspections orders then they are creating what you would need to be able to improve your odds of wining if you had to sue them when you claim they did not deliver a unit that was habitable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe it is against the law to spend deposit money it is to go in a separate account . So I am told .
There is no such requirement in Colorado. All that matters is that you get your deposit back in accordance with the law at the end of your tenancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">