• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get refund for excessive tax withheld by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suyashko92

MA,

My employer withheld FICA tax from 2 months of 2017 and around 5 months of 2018. As a student on F1 VISA, I am exempt from these taxes due to my current VISA status. The mistake was corrected after 6-7 months and my paycheck started that FICA tax was not withheld anymore. However, I never got the refund for those taxes, neither from my employer nor in my tax returns. I checked with my employer and they told me that the amount has been paid to the IRS. What do I have to do to claim it in my in my 2018 tax return?

LdiJ

MA,

My employer withheld FICA tax from 2 months of 2017 and around 5 months of 2018. As a student on F1 VISA, I am exempt from these taxes due to my current VISA status. The mistake was corrected after 6-7 months and my paycheck started that FICA tax was not withheld anymore. However, I never got the refund for those taxes, neither from my employer nor in my tax returns. I checked with my employer and they told me that the amount has been paid to the IRS. What do I have to do to claim it in my in my 2018 tax return?
How much money are we talking about? How much did your employer withhold for those 7 months that your employer should not have withheld?

LdiJ

Around $3k.
If your employer withheld that much from a student with a work permit on an F1 Visa then I am going to suggest that you get a consult with a tax professional who can review your actual documents. That would tend to indicate an income much higher than a normal F1 Visa holder would earn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">