• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Although the couple has been married for 12 years, OP has been living in the US for only 9 of those years. Would that be a factor?

(Of course, if the divorce is finalized after the 10 yr mark, my question is moot. And OP is naturalizing, so she must be near that.)
I don't think that its a factor if they lived outside the US for part of their marriage.

dantarantado

Although the couple has been married for 12 years, OP has been living in the US for only 9 of those years. Would that be a factor?

(Of course, if the divorce is finalized after the 10 yr mark, my question is moot. And OP is naturalizing, so she must be near that.)
This leads me to another question.. Will my benifits after divorce be "limited" since I am not a US citizen yet?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The 401k and the custody of your son is something that will be settled as part of your divorce. Those are not "benefits". Only the SS is an automatic benefit.
Right - that's why I asked for clarification - I had a feeling the OP was asking about more than just SS benefits.

dantarantado

The 401k and the custody of your son is something that will be settled as part of your divorce. Those are not "benefits". Only the SS is an automatic benefit.
Ok. That's my main concern (my son). So they cannot like take away or limit my "rights" with regards to custody, since my son is a US citizen and I am not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok. That's my main concern (my son). So they cannot like take away or limit my "rights" with regards to custody, since my son is a US citizen and I am not?
The court can order that you are not allowed to take him abroad or move him abroad. The court can order that you have to pay a bond to travel with him. Those sorts of things can happen.

LdiJ

They can limit your right to remove your son from the country. Other than that, the fact that your son is a citizen and you are not is irrelevant. I hope that you have an attorney representing you because from the questions you have been asking here, I am beginning to believe that your ex is filling your head with a bunch of lies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">