• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my mother-in-law kick me out!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judyshort38

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Ohio

For the past 6 years, my husband and I have resided in his mother's home. The mother lived with her sister during this time until about a year ago she moved back in with us. She and I never really got along. She is 87 and I am 60. She recently had cataract surgery and has been staying with her sister. Now she wants to move back in with my husband. But, she told my husband that I have to move out! Not sure what to do!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

For the past 6 years, my husband and I have resided in his mother's home. The mother lived with her sister during this time until about a year ago she moved back in with us. She and I never really got along. She is 87 and I am 60. She recently had cataract surgery and has been staying with her sister. Now she wants to move back in with my husband. But, she told my husband that I have to move out! Not sure what to do!!!
Your Mother In Law can evict you. You and your husband should find a new place to live.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I gotta wonder why the OP is so confused about what to do. The answer is pretty clear: Move.

LdiJ

I think perhaps the problem is that the MIL wants to live with her son, and just wants her daughter in law to move out. Therefore, AJ's response is more appropriate.

If OP's husband won't move out with her, then there is a bigger problem than just not getting along with MIL.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I think perhaps the problem is that the MIL wants to live with her son, and just wants her daughter in law to move out. Therefore, AJ's response is more appropriate.

If OP's husband won't move out with her, then there is a bigger problem than just not getting along with MIL.
Actually LD, as the Ohio attorney, my response is what was correct. But you are too ignorant and blind to realize that. Please try educating yourself.

adjusterjack

Actually LD, as the Ohio attorney, my response is what was correct. But you are too ignorant and blind to realize that. Please try educating yourself.
LdiJ's response was right on the money.

What I don't understand is why the OP would think for a second the owner of the house couldn't kick her out.
Not without proper notice and eviction through the courts, if necessary.

Start by asking your husband where his allegiance lies - with you or his mother?
I'm waiting for an answer to that.

FarmerJ

If your husband even hesitates when you tell him WE have to move since your mother doesn't want me to stay here while she is here Then I suggest you make a appointment with a divorce attorney so you become aware of your states divorce laws and have a better understanding of your rights and options should you actually end up going that route.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The LEGAL question is whether or not the mother in law may kick the OP out. The LEGAL answer to that is, with proper notice and, if necessary, eviction processes, yes she can.

What the MIL wants with regards to the OP's husband and what the husband can or should do is a separate issue, but not a legal issue.

Eekamouse

What's your ages have to do with anything? Did you think you being 60 somehow exempts you from being kicked out of your MIL's house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">