• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repair shop switched cheap parts for the ones on my invoice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I don't expect the police to arrest anyone. I think it's important to keep the police updated on dishonest repair shops. How else can they be
controlled.
I don't expect much out of this for myself. The car has 200,000 miles on it and needs other repairs that are more than it is worth, so I don't really care that much about it. Think of this as a public service.
If you don't think the police will arrest someone, then what do you expect them to do? The Attorney General's office CAN do something about it; why you are so insistent on going down a cheese-less tunnel is beyond me.

travistee2

I quoted the law. I didn’t address core charges myself.

Dishonest repair shops are dealt with through the state and their licensing processes. The police deal with crimes. Dishonest doesn’t mean criminal.
Didn't someone else here say that the crime is Larceny?

I'll try the police. If they are not interested I'll forget about it and leave the car behind.

I am going back to the North East, so I wont be here to deal with the state process.

quincy

... If they are not interested I'll forget about it and leave the car behind ...
If you don't care about the car, you could report the franchisee to your state's attorney general (link was provided to you earlier) or even the police if you want to ...

... but then you could donate your car to a charitable organization or a high school that offers auto mechanic classes. The car could be towed if necessary.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you just ignore this and assume they'll take the junker car off your hands, then you may find that a judgment is entered against you.

travistee2

I'm not ignoring it. That's why I'm going to the police.
Thanks Z, I thought that a mechanics lien is the remedy as stated in the work order. What else would you think I should do? They want $1600 to replace the entire brake system, pads , rotors and calipers.

I have more evidence to show the police. I have a receipt from another repair shop that inspected the brakes a few weeks ago in Tucson.
It only recommended front brake pads and rotors. I think at some point the police should weigh in on this.

I've had a judgement before. It never made any difference on my credit.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks Z, I thought that a mechanics lien is the remedy as stated in the work order. What else would you think I should do? They want $1600 to replace the entire brake system, pads , rotors and calipers.
A mechanics lien is just the start.

I have more evidence to show the police. I have a receipt from another repair shop that inspected the brakes a few weeks ago in Tucson.
It only recommended front brake pads and rotors. I think at some point the police should weigh in on this.
The police won't care. This is a CIVIL MATTER.

...and I had an erroneous judgment reported on my credit report for literally 2 days which caused a card issuer to cancel my card with them. (Good riddance! I only used it once for a promo and it had a zero balance.)

travistee2

I've had a court ordered judgement that I ignored.
I've had a hospital bill for $3000 that I didn't know I had. I noticed it on my credit report.
These are off my credit report now. It may have lowered my credit rating from over 800 to somewhere in the 700's. I'm over 800 now.
What is the point of the mechanics lien if they can sell the car for to cover the costs.
" A mechanics lien is just the start. " So what happens next?
I don't live in NM. I would have left already if this didn't happen. Do they really want to take this to a court with the evidence I have against them?

What then is it you think I should do?
I'll let you know what the police say.

Last edited:

travistee2

I didn't say they did the work I asked them to do. If you read the original post here you will see that:
a: They removed the entire brake system and refused to show me the parts.
b: Since I had no choice I signed the work order.
c: When I saw that they were installing cheaper parts than what was on the work order I told them to cancel it.
d: I have photo evidence that the parts they put on the car didn't match the work order, and contradict their emails.
e: I have emails from them that contradict what is what they were saying.
f: I have a brake inspection only a few weeks ago that says I only needed from pads and rotors.
g: They are required by NM law to keep the old parts and they didn't.
h: Others have said that I could file a police report because the crime is called larceny.

and some more evidence.

justalayman

The cops definitely aren’t gojng to care if another shop said you needed fewer parts.

justalayman

If they haven’t done the work and you paid then, there is no larceny. Maybe attempted but I am confident in saying the cops will not get involved. They are going to tell you this is a civil matter

adjusterjack

Wallet flushing is commonplace. Just ask anyone who works at an automotive franchise with 'tire' in the title;)
Having known people in that business, it's no surprise to me.

I think I will just leave it with them.
And they will fix everything at their cost for the parts and whatever they pay the mechanic's hourly wage and then make good money selling it.

Before you give it away for nothing, take your title over there and see if the shop owner will pay you something for the title to avoid the cost and time it takes to perfect the lien.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">