• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint physical custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kg712

In Minnesota it is a possibility to have an order for joint physical custody without including a parenting schedule and child support? Me and my boyfriend live together and have for 7 yrs and we share a 5 yr old daughter and he wants a legal document that says he has joint physical custody of her, but since we live together it doesn't make sense to have the order include parenting time or child support.

LdiJ

In Minnesota it is a possibility to have an order for joint physical custody without including a parenting schedule and child support? Me and my boyfriend live together and have for 7 yrs and we share a 5 yr old daughter and he wants a legal document that says he has joint physical custody of her, but since we live together it doesn't make sense to have the order include parenting time or child support.
I hate to say this, but has he given you a reason for wanting this? To me, it looks as though he is planning a breakup and wants to get you to agree to joint physical custody while you still think that the two of you are together.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I hate to say this, but has he given you a reason for wanting this? To me, it looks as though he is planning a breakup and wants to get you to agree to joint physical custody while you still think that the two of you are together.
Or, perhaps, dad is simply attempting to make sure that things are "right" in the future. Despite your clear bias, it's entirely possible that dad has no nefarious ulterior motive and simply wants to legally be DAD.

LdiJ

Or, perhaps, dad is simply attempting to make sure that things are "right" in the future. Despite your clear bias, it's entirely possible that dad has no nefarious ulterior motive and simply wants to legally be DAD.
He already IS legally dad. If he is on the BC he is legally the father of the child. Should anything happen to mom he would legally have the right to have the child in his custody.

There is no bias here. Dad having an ulterior motive in this instance is far more likely than anything else.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He already IS legally dad. If he is on the BC he is legally the father of the child. Should anything happen to mom he would legally have the right to have the child in his custody.

There is no bias here. Dad having an ulterior motive in this instance is far more likely than anything else.
Should something happen to mom he would have the right. However he doesn't necessarily have the right to make decisions about the child. You really are mom biased and it is extremely ridiculous how you bend over backwards to criticize fathers.

Just Blue

To assume that Dad hast a bad motive because he wants the same legal rights as mom is outrageous.

t74

It is in the CHILD'S best interest to have all the legalities taken care of before a crisis situation. Mom and dad both should have insisted upon it and done it years ago,

Just Blue

It is in the CHILD'S best interest to have all the legalities taken care of before a crisis situation. Mom and dad both should have insisted upon it and done it years ago,
I agree...God forbid something happen to mom, and dad has to spend precious time getting legal rights rather than comforting his child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You are an idiot. A breakup after custody being granted would be a substantial change in circumstance. You are clueless. OP, for your own well being, ignore LDIJ. She is completely wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">