• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying To Catch Roommates With Harassment But Not Easy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Round_&_Round

I've been trying for months to catch roommates with Harassment but it's been very difficult and I need some advice. Somehow I copy of my car keys have been missing for a long time and about once per week I find things moved or missing from my car. I pretty much know it's them or one of them because I've heard them discussing once as to what one of them had done inside my car at the time. Also another time I had brought a box of things from my storage unit into the house from my car to go threw and see what to toss and what to keep. I went out of the living room for a bit and then also out to my car to discover an item that was still in the box at the time was now pushed between the front and passenger seat inside my car and my one roommate was also sitting in the living room at the time. I've been looking into getting a security camera to put in my car but I can't afford paying several hundred dollars for one. I have gone to the police and reported this but I was told that definite proof such as a camera catching this happening is pretty much the best way to go. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if we assume that you are correct in your assessment of what is happening (which is by no means certain) exactly what do you believe has happened that is illegal here?

quincy

I've been trying for months to catch roommates with Harassment but it's been very difficult and I need some advice. Somehow I copy of my car keys have been missing for a long time and about once per week I find things moved or missing from my car. I pretty much know it's them or one of them because I've heard them discussing once as to what one of them had done inside my car at the time. Also another time I had brought a box of things from my storage unit into the house from my car to go threw and see what to toss and what to keep. I went out of the living room for a bit and then also out to my car to discover an item that was still in the box at the time was now pushed between the front and passenger seat inside my car and my one roommate was also sitting in the living room at the time. I've been looking into getting a security camera to put in my car but I can't afford paying several hundred dollars for one. I have gone to the police and reported this but I was told that definite proof such as a camera catching this happening is pretty much the best way to go. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks
Is this the same roommate you had trouble with in 2017?

Mass_Shyster

Install an alarm in your car.

Even if we assume that you are correct in your assessment of what is happening (which is by no means certain) exactly what do you believe has happened that is illegal here?
Under Mass law, it would qualify as B&E for Misdemeanor.
From the Massachusetts Complaint Manual:

266/16A B&E FOR MISDEMEANOR c266 §16A (Effective 9/28/66)

on [DATE OF OFFENSE:] did break and enter a building, ship, vessel or vehicle, the property of [NAME OF OWNER OF PROPERTY:], with intent to commit a misdemeanor therein, in violation of G.L. c.266, §16A. (PENALTY: imprisonment not more than 6 months; or not more than $200; or both.)

Note: Opening a closed door constitutes breaking.

Eekamouse

Buy a camera. It's your only option, really. Your story is so far-fetched that you're going to have to have irrefutable proof if you expect anyone to believe you.

quincy

Install an alarm in your car.

Under Mass law, it would qualify as B&E for Misdemeanor.
From the Massachusetts Complaint Manual:

266/16A B&E FOR MISDEMEANOR c266 §16A (Effective 9/28/66)

on [DATE OF OFFENSE:] did break and enter a building, ship, vessel or vehicle, the property of [NAME OF OWNER OF PROPERTY:], with intent to commit a misdemeanor therein, in violation of G.L. c.266, §16A. (PENALTY: imprisonment not more than 6 months; or not more than $200; or both.)

Note: Opening a closed door constitutes breaking.
I believe the state is New Jersey, unless Round_and_Round has moved from the state. He apparently should move from his current location ... and perhaps to a studio apartment with no roommates.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I missed the part about the car. I read it as things in the apartment being moved. Must need more coffee.

quincy

It is possible that the roommates are playfully teasing, too, and don't realize how seriously bothered Round_and_Round is by their antics.

Nothing is stolen and the items are placed where Round_and_Round is going to find them. This does not seem much like criminal behavior to me. At most it appears to be immature behavior by the roommates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">