• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a bind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dwgravy

What is the name of your state? PA

My checking account has been seized. I have been out of work due to an illness. I am about to return to work but it will be a few weeks before I get paid again. I cannot access my checking account or I could drive with Uber to make some money to pay some bills. My question is what if I was to open a checking account with another bank in the meantime. Would they pick up on that?

Dwgravy

Why was your checking account seized?
I was late on my payments. The first 3 years I was divorced I foolishly paid my ex wife instead of going through the state. So now I have been paying into that for the last 4 years. So when I am even a little late, they come after me. I have been out of work since February 1st.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How far behind are you? If you open up another account, they will most likely seize that as well.

Dwgravy

I'm not a dead beat father. I see my daughter regularly even though she is 4 hours away. I have always paid my support as best as I can. I need to financially bridge the gap between now and my first paycheck with my new company if I want to keep my apartment and utilities on

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I generally wouldn't advise on methods to circumvent the collection process, but it sounds to me as if their seizure of your account is actually preventing you from making money by driving for Uber. I would suggest that you open up some sort of debit card that allows for direct deposits and associate that with your Uber account (if they allow it).

LdiJ

I generally wouldn't advise on methods to circumvent the collection process, but it sounds to me as if their seizure of your account is actually preventing you from making money by driving for Uber. I would suggest that you open up some sort of debit card that allows for direct deposits and associate that with your Uber account (if they allow it).
That would be my advice as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The seizure is not preventing him from making money. It is preventing him from pocketing it and avoid paying his support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The seizure is not preventing him from making money. It is preventing him from pocketing it and avoid paying his support.
That's a valid point. I guess I'm looking at it as the only way (for now) that the OP has to make money is by driving for Uber (and I'm assuming this is true). If the OP has no money, and if the OP doesn't have access to the money that Uber would generate, then the OP can't drive for Uber because he has no money to put gas in his car, etc. Of course, the OP should send payments towards his child support from the money that Uber generates.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's a valid point. I guess I'm looking at it as the only way (for now) that the OP has to make money is by driving for Uber (and I'm assuming this is true). If the OP has no money, and if the OP doesn't have access to the money that Uber would generate, then the OP can't drive for Uber because he has no money to put gas in his car, etc. Of course, the OP should send payments towards his child support from the money that Uber generates.
A bank seizure is not the first step CSEA takes. It takes a long time of avoidance to have that happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">