• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother gifted me money and nursing home 5 year look back. Is the money in jeopardy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

What they are trying to tell you is that Medicaid will act as your mother has 430K when she doesn't because she gave 230K it to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can they attempt recovery beyond the 5 year look back or only within the next 2 years?
Let me restate my prior post:

Yes, they can take steps to attempt recovery of funds and/or other assets that were transferred in the look-back period.

ioticus

Okay, thanks for the help everyone. Looks like there is nothing I can do but hope she doesn't have to go to a nursing home or have a serious illness within the next 2 years.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Okay, thanks for the help everyone. Looks like there is nothing I can do but hope she doesn't have to go to a nursing home or have a serious illness within the next 2 years.
Or, you know, you could use the money she gave you to pay the bills she's incurring for her care.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think this might be a little harsh on the OP. Grandma wanted the OP to have the money. Legally, there is nothing wrong with gifting money. If the gift is greater than 5 years, the legally there is nothing wrong with keeping the money if the donor ends up in a nursing home with the government footing the bill. The OP has not expressed an unwillingness to turn over the money if grandma ends up in a nursing home before the 5 year look-back period expires and, in fact, actually hasn't spent the money. She has expressed a hope that she doesn't have to turn it over, but not an unwillingness to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">