• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Visitation Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

(1) $0-$1,000,000.
(2) How's the weather been treating you? Do these pants make my butt look fat?
(3) I don't think any attorney is going to let you look into him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
….
@not2cleverRed
To further answer your question, I can tell you this.
I was granted full and exclusive use of the marital home, which was later sold and split the proceeds.
I have since purchased another home (rooms for each of the children).
The current situation of the children is that they share 1 bedroom with their mother.
My son (9 years old) currently sleeps in a full bed with my ex, while my daughter (younger) sleeps on the floor.

So I stand by my writing... to a lesser extent, the purchase of a home.

As far as your posting that you are not surprised as to the time I received, I find it fascinating that you would post something like that based on what you perceived in text.
I AM NOT SURE if you are a lawyer, and if you are, if you are able practice in Texas, but I am sure that you know (as well as I do... and I am NOT a lawyer), that even the appeals courts give the fact that "inflections", "mannerisms", "personality", and any other aspects associated with common discussion cannot gained through written word.
Therefore, the appeals courts always give discretion to the trial judge because (s)he was able to witness the parties in their testimony.

There is a distinct difference between "associating intent" to written words (i.e. saying that a person comes across as snarky, rude, arrogant, or other) and calling someone a "liar" in written form (a direct attack that is not inferred).

Thank you again for your post.
I hope that you take a moment and re-read all that was written to put it in some sort of context.
I am very sure that I am not a lawyer, nevermind one in TX.

So you got the marital home... but you only have 8 hours of parenting time a month max with your kids. Because even with the marital home (stability) you were awarded no overnights. The new house isn't going to count more than the marital home for showing stability. The new wife isn't going to count more than Mom when it comes to showing a nurturing environment. You trying to paint Mom as immoral and unfit is not going to make you look better.

It makes no sense retaining a lawyer until you understand better how that came to pass, because in order to modify you have to show that it is safe and a good idea for your kids to spend more time with you.

You come off as very combative.

You don't come off as a loving father.

GeneralZod

Ummm....no.
In your original post, the last statement you made was this:

(Emphasis added)

So, you DID ask for more than just those three questions.
Hmm.... I can almost see what you are saying if you take it out of context.

If anyone has any information or suggestions, please respond.
(emphasis added)
The question here is to what am I asking "information or suggestions" of????
The answer is my original 3 questions. Cost, look for, ask....
Consequently you can add in the suggestions from someone who has been in this situation.

If you take it out of context, then you almost have a point

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hmm.... I can almost see what you are saying if you take it out of context.

(emphasis added)
The question here is to what am I asking "information or suggestions" of????
The answer is my original 3 questions. Cost, look for, ask....
Consequently you can add in the suggestions from someone who has been in this situation.

If you take it out of context, then you almost have a point

Thank you
You really need to take a lesson on effective writing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am only asking if anyone who has experience in this matter can give generalized answers to (1) possible costs, (2) what to ask an attorney when sitting down with them, and (3) what to look for in an attorney.
I answered (1) and (3) early on.

As for (2)? What his/her strategy might be, whether s/he would recommend a GAL. Talk less, listen more.

GeneralZod

I am very sure that I am not a lawyer, nevermind one in TX.

So you got the marital home... but you only have 8 hours of parenting time a month max with your kids. Because even with the marital home (stability) you were awarded no overnights. The new house isn't going to count more than the marital home for showing stability. The new wife isn't going to count more than Mom when it comes to showing a nurturing environment. You trying to paint Mom as immoral and unfit is not going to make you look better.

It makes no sense retaining a lawyer until you understand better how that came to pass, because in order to modify you have to show that it is safe and a good idea for your kids to spend more time with you.

You come off as very combative.

You don't come off as a loving father.
(emphasis added)

Thank you for your reply.
I understand that you are basing your assumption off of text (written words).

Please take a moment and understand that I ONLY came to this open forum for 3 questions
What is a "generalized" cost one would expect to pay for a modification
What are some good questions to ask attorneys when interviewing them.
What should I look for in an attorney

Because of those questions (which have yet to have a serious answer), I have been asked personal information (that goes beyond the scope of the questions). I have been called a liar (for failing to quote the actual case but instead quote a website that I used to get the case name from and failing to properly cite that).
And it has been insinuated that I am a bad parent based off of written words that of which none (that I recall) have been pointed or direct at people other than to show someone that I disagree with their opinion and present some sort of reasoning why I disagree.

I am going to ask you a real question...
Is it possible that maybe a judge screwed something up?

I ask because it seems that you are insinuating that I am a bad parent.
That means, I would have to have fooled the police investigators (whose sole job it is to, as their name suggests, investigate wrong doings). If you read my other posts you would see that I have 0 criminal records, 0 arrests, 0 protective orders against me.
It would also mean that the Amicus attorney (which I never mentioned in this forum) was wrong in their not finding any reasoning why the children would be in danger with me.
It would further mean that the Judge did wrong in making me "JOINT MANAGING CONSERVATOR" (JMC) here in Texas. Something that he would be prohibited to do if the children would in danger as per the Texas Family Code.

Taking that all into account... is it possible that maybe the judge made a mistake?
Either 1 he made a mistake by making me "JOINT MANAGING CONSERVATOR" or he made a mistake by improperly infringing upon my rights because my original lawyer did NOT GET the police records to show that they were UNABLE to cooperate my ex's allegations and that the closed all cases against me as unfounded.... no arrest, no protective orders, nothing.

I still do not see how any of that has anything to do with my original 3 questions.

What is a "generalized" cost one would expect to pay for a modification.
What are some good questions to ask attorneys when interviewing them.
What should I look for in an attorney.

Thank you

GeneralZod

I answered (1) and (3) early on.

As for (2)? What his/her strategy might be, whether s/he would recommend a GAL. Talk less, listen more.
Thank you for your answer.

The children already had an Amicus attorney assigned to them during the original court case.
During that court case, the Amicus found no reasons why the children could or should be kept from me.
Along the same lines, the associate judge that handled the temporary orders (before the final hearing) sided with me and gave me normal visitation.

Those are still beside the point and getting a little too personal and well past the point of the original 3 questions.

Thank you

Zigner

You've had every single question answered, yet you've tried to argue that the answers were wrong Your matter is far too complex for an internet forum. We can't guess how much it will cost and we can't guess at what questions need to be asked (these are very specific to your case). Furthermore, we can't guess what YOU should look for in an attorney, although I suspect you'll have to find a very patient and firm attorney who will take the time to disabuse you on many of the things you have posted here.

Best of luck to you.

GeneralZod

(1) $0-$1,000,000.
(2) How's the weather been treating you? Do these pants make my butt look fat?
(3) I don't think any attorney is going to let you look into him.
Thank you but not really helpful as to the purpose of the 3 questions.

I assume that this forum was set up for people to ask questions (like those original 3 questions) and to be answered by someone who has "experience" in those matters or answered by someone who is qualified (lawyer or such) to answer the questions (hence the reasoning to list your STATE).

To be mocked for asking questions is not really helpful.
To be called names for asking questions and trying to steer comments back to the original questions when someone asks something that was not discussed, asked, or needed to answer the original 3 questions is not helpful either.

I appreciate your time...

Zigner

I assume that this forum was set up for people to ask questions (like those original 3 questions) and to be answered by someone who has "experience" in those matters or answered by someone who is qualified (lawyer or such) to answer the questions (hence the reasoning to list your STATE).

To be called names for asking questions and trying to steer comments back to the original questions when someone asks something that was not discussed, asked, or needed to answer the original 3 questions is not helpful either.

You were given answers, as requested, and didn't like them. You were given additional information, as requested, and didn't like it. What else is left?

GeneralZod

You've had every single question answered, yet you've tried to argue that the answers were wrong Your matter is far too complex for an internet forum. We can't guess how much it will cost and we can't guess at what questions need to be asked (these are very specific to your case). Furthermore, we can't guess what YOU should look for in an attorney, although I suspect you'll have to find a very patient and firm attorney who will take the time to disabuse you on many of the things you have posted here.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you,
That is the best answer that I have gotten so far.
At least time was taken here to address the answers with an opinion and I thank you for that.

I am not sure what falsehood I am under, but you are correct, there will be many things that a lawyer and myself would have to work out.

I appreciate your time.

Zigner

I can tell you, unequivocally, that if you flood your attorney with your verbosity, your costs for this case will skyrocket.
Please stick to the questions asked.

EDIT: Perhaps that can be one of the things the OP asks during the interview: "If I respond to every point you make with a short essay, will my costs increase?"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was an attorney and answered you. The only attorney I believe. You never read the Terms of Service. Which means you are ignorant to what this site does.

GeneralZod

You were given answers, as requested, and didn't like them. You were given additional information, as requested, and didn't like it. What else is left?
These were the first 3 posts that were posted (not by me)
How long ago was the divorce?

If you are past the date when you can appeal, then I believe you need a "change of circumstance". What has changed since the divorce (for the children)?
Honestly? No one can give you any answers as you've provided no information on what you're trying to modify or why.
Given it's a "messed up situation".... No one can really hazard a guess as to the cost. Could be $5k, could be $50k.

Did you not use a lawyer the first time around?
I am sorry, but the way I read these... the first quote has a question (how long ago was the divorce) and a belief (change of circumstance).
I answer the question and posted my potion of the change of circumstance.
The second quote gives an opinion based on a question... "what are you trying to modify or why".
That was answered in the original post:
I am getting ready to start interviewing lawyers to begin a Visitation Modification.
(emphasis added)
Stealth2 did allude to some answer in the 3rd post by giving the opinion that "no one can hazard a guess as to cost..." and then asked the question "Did you not use a lawyer the first time around".

I answered in my reply.
I used a lawyer for the divorce (hence the 10's of thousands of dollars comment).
The messed up situation is that it "seems" the judge screwed up.
Then I gave details as to my case to support the "screwed up" assertion.
Stealth2 responds back with this:
Okay, for starters - your marriage and purchase of a home do not constitute a change in circumstance for the children. However, that may not matter if you are looking at modifying the parenting plan/timeshare.
I find that to be wrong (at least here in Texas) and I given several court cases to show my point as to why I believe that is wrong.
The purpose is not to argue but rather if someone follows up on this post who is also from Texas, (s)he will have some place to start in finding out tangible information (not based on beliefs) for their quest.
Steath2 did give a great nugget of suggestion in his statment:
In terms of what to look for in a lawyer, I would likely want someone fairly aggressive with experience in dealing with abuse allegations in custody. I would, frankly, expect it to be rather costly.
However, it was followed up by LdiJ's comment which overshadowed the comment.
I had to correct her comment:
In addition, Joint managing conservator means joint decision making. It has nothing to do with timeshare.
Then I had to address the opinion expressed:
From the way that you have written this story I suspect that you have fought your attorney more than you should have.
I hope all of that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">