• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident no police report or insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darrellc

My girlfriend was involved in a traffic accident (the car is in both our names) in Mississippi. She swears that the other people are responsible for wreck, while the other people swear that she was the one who was responsible.

There was no police report or accident report filed. Neither have insurance and neither wanted the police involved.

My girlfriend gave them my number for me to handle this and they are wanting their car repaired.

What are the liabilities of this? Am I or she responsible for repairs? Should I just tell them no.

quincy

My girlfriend was involved in a traffic accident (the car is in both our names) in Mississippi. She swears that the other people are responsible for wreck, while the other people swear that she was the one who was responsible.

There was no police report or accident report filed. Neither have insurance and neither wanted the police involved.

My girlfriend gave them my number for me to handle this and they are wanting their car repaired.

What are the liabilities of this? Am I or she responsible for repairs? Should I just tell them no.
You can tell them no. And they potentially could sue.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
She swears that the other people are responsible for wreck, while the other people swear that she was the one who was responsible.
Everyone can swear anything they want - since no one had insurance it can simply be a huge mess.

Just curious - did she know the car was not insured when she took it? Why was your car not insured? You could potentially be paying for this for the rest of your life.

quincy

... You could potentially be paying for this for the rest of your life.
Huh?

Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor with the possibility of a $1000 fine (up to $400 in additional fees) and a one year driver's license suspension ... but Darrelic wasn't driving and "the rest of your life" is a bit of an exaggeration.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If one of the other involved (or more than one) now claims injuries he could have some legal issues for quite a while and if there is any substantial judgment against him he could be affected for a very long time. Worst case, of course.

LdiJ

If one of the other involved (or more than one) now claims injuries he could have some legal issues for quite a while and if there is any substantial judgment against him he could be affected for a very long time. Worst case, of course.
I understood what you are saying there.

quincy

There was nothing said to indicate that the accident was to that extreme, though. Car damage was all that was mentioned. Car damage is not going to affect someone for the rest of their life. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">