• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will she get from his SS and/or VA benefits, after he passes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark2365

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Hello, people.

A lovely couple, both in their late 70s and retired, have been married and living together for 8 years.
From his time in Vietnam, he was awarded three Purple Hearts and three Bronze Stars, now all lost.
The VA finally decided around June of 2012 to declare him a 100% disabled veteran, retroactive to around June of 2010.
Living in Arizona, he is housebound, moves around only by wheelchair, and she is his full-time caretaker.
His monthly income is $1000 from Social Security and $3200 from VA disability.
Her monthly income is $2000 from Social Security and $1700 from an employer's pension.
Two questions… What will she get from his SS and/or VA, after he passes away?
What other benefits might he/she/they be eligible for now, before he passes?
Please provide links where I can read more about this stuff.
Thanks, in advance.
Mark2365

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Have them contact a Veteran's Service Organization for assistance. VSOs will help figure out benefits and don't charge for services. They can find a list of VSOs in AZ here: https://www.benefits.va.gov/ROPHOENIX/veterans-services-orgs.asp

ETA: I work for the Army in Social Services, so although my main population is Active Duty, I get enough calls from Vets that I've learned a little about the VA.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Hello, people.

A lovely couple, both in their late 70s and retired, have been married and living together for 8 years.
From his time in Vietnam, he was awarded three Purple Hearts and three Bronze Stars, now all lost.
The VA finally decided around June of 2012 to declare him a 100% disabled veteran, retroactive to around June of 2010.
Living in Arizona, he is housebound, moves around only by wheelchair, and she is his full-time caretaker.
His monthly income is $1000 from Social Security and $3200 from VA disability.
Her monthly income is $2000 from Social Security and $1700 from an employer's pension.
Two questions… What will she get from his SS and/or VA, after he passes away?
What other benefits might he/she/they be eligible for now, before he passes?
Please provide links where I can read more about this stuff.
Thanks, in advance.
Mark2365
I can tell you that she won't get anything from Social Security since her benefit is already higher than his. I don't know anything about the VA issue.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Thanks for the thanks, Mark2365. I hope your friends find the answers they need. They're lucky to have you helping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">