• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?GA

My Western Union online account was compromised on 03/06/2019 and an unauthorized wire transfer was sent to someone in another country. I notified Suntrust Bank and Western Union within 2 hours of finding out. Western Union states they are unable to do anything because the person already picked up the money. Western Union can only block the person from receiving money in the future. But Suntrust Bank is refusing to refund the money after I have contacted the BBB and Consumer Affairs. What are my options at this point?

quincy

What is the name of your state?GA

My Western Union online account was compromised on 03/06/2019 and an unauthorized wire transfer was sent to someone in another country. I notified Suntrust Bank and Western Union within 2 hours of finding out. Western Union states they are unable to do anything because the person already picked up the money. Western Union can only block the person from receiving money in the future. But Suntrust Bank is refusing to refund the money after I have contacted the BBB and Consumer Affairs. What are my options at this point?
Do you know how your account was "compromised?" And by who?

Last edited:
No I don't know who had my login information. I have asked both company's for an IP address so I can further prove my case but have not received a response with that information. A week after this incident occurred, someone living in Brazil tried to get into my Uber account which Uber immediately prevented from happening and informed me of the IP address.

quincy

No I don't know who had my login information. I have asked both company's for an IP address so I can further prove my case but have not received a response with that information. A week after this incident occurred, someone living in Brazil tried to get into my Uber account which Uber immediately prevented from happening and informed me of the IP address.
Western Union will refund money only if the fraudulent transaction is reported and stopped before the transfer of the funds.

You should contact your local law enforcement agency to report the theft and you should change all of your account numbers (bank, credit card, etc) and PINs.

Have "fraud alerts" posted with all of the credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax).

File complaints with Western Union using their online form and file a complaint with your state's Consumer Protection Division.

I am afraid that, unless you can identify the one who accessed your accounts without authorization, you will not recover the money you lost. You can only work now to prevent future thefts.

Good luck.

PayrollHRGuy

Ditto to everything @quincy wrote.

But you should be aware that neither the BBB or Consumer Affairs are government agencies or have any police or regulatory powers.

Well have you heard of this website. (link removed)

The person could be living in another country which is why I have asked Western Union for an IP address from where the money was sent from and ironically they are refusing to provide. Do I have a chance in small claims court and if so, should I sue both WU and my bank?

quincy

Well have you heard of this website (link removed)

The person could be living in another country which is why I have asked Western Union for an IP address from where the money was sent from and ironically they are refusing to provide. Do I have a chance in small claims court and if so, should I sue both WU and my bank?
I do not see that you have a claim against your bank or Western Union. You have a claim against the one who accessed your account without your authorization.

Your post was reported to have the link removed.

Sorry same issue accept I realized that the debit card saved in my Western Union account was an old card. Same card number different expiration date. I had a new one issued due to the chip not working. So, why did Suntrust allow the transaction to go through?

quincy

Sorry same issue accept I realized that the debit card saved in my Western Union account was an old card. Same card number different expiration date. I had a new one issued due to the chip not working. So, why did Suntrust allow the transaction to go through?
We could guess. The best way to get an answer, though, is to ask Suntrust.

quincy

That isn't what I believe the OP was talking about. See the pm I just sent you.
Ahh. Thanks. You could be right. I agree that Consumer Affairs and the BBB are not going to be of much help.

Georgia's Consumer Protection Division could be of help.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Chyvan

You really need to post more details for the transaction. If the transaction was via the debit card, then you have MasterCard zero fraud loss protections and if that fails, you can still do a Reg E. claim.

File the claim, do it in writing to preserve your rights, and see what happens.

quincy

You really need to post more details for the transaction. If the transaction was via the debit card, then you have MasterCard zero fraud loss protections and if that fails, you can still do a Reg E. claim.

It was a Western Union wire transfer from a Suntrust bank account.

justalayman

Where did MasterCard get involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">