• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My son was arrested in Arkansas in 1995 for possession of marijuana. He paid the fine and forgot about it. Today, 24 years later, he received notice that he never paid and needs to pay $450 to clear the matter up. Of course he has no receipt proving he paid the fine, what should he do?

quincy

My son was arrested in Arkansas in 1995 for possession of marijuana. He paid the fine and forgot about it. Today, 24 years later, he received notice that he never paid and needs to pay $450 to clear the matter up. Of course he has no receipt proving he paid the fine, what should he do?
Who did he receive the notice from? The state of Arkansas?

If from the state, the notice your son received should have information on it telling him how he can dispute the fine.

LdiJ

Who did he receive the notice from? The state of Arkansas?

If from the state, the notice your son received should have information on it telling him how he can dispute the fine.
He should also probably re-verify independently that he actually owes the fine. I can see something like that being a scam.

quincy

He should also probably re-verify independently that he actually owes the fine. I can see something like that being a scam.
That is why I asked who the notice was from. ;)

The prosecutor's office billed him? Odd.

He should look up the current name and number for the prosecutor (he should not rely on any information on the notice) and speak to someone in the prosecutor's office about the billing. He should not be paying the prosecutor for anything.

Last edited:
That is why I asked who the notice was from. ;)

The prosecutor's office billed him? Odd.

He should look up the current name and number for the prosecutor (he should not rely on any information on the notice) and speak to someone in the prosecutor's office about the billing. He should not be paying the prosecutor for anything.
Thanks everyone, He is going to visit the prosecutor tomorrow.

quincy

wwalker898 You should avoid putting your responses inside the quotes.
I don't think anyone intends to post inside a quote - but it is not uncommon.

I was able to read what wwalker wrote. Apparently you were, too.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If this is determined to not be a scam, then beyond a basic protestation, this is likely to cost more to fight than it would to simply pay it.

quincy

If this is determined to not be a scam, then beyond a basic protestation, this is likely to cost more to fight than it would to simply pay it.
I agree it could save time and energy just to pay the amount demanded (if not a scam).

Twenty-four years is a long time to wait to send out a notice for nonpayment, though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree it could save time and energy just to pay the amount demanded (if not a scam).

Twenty-four years is a long time to wait to send out a notice for nonpayment, though.
Yep - a very long time...and the initial protest may very well work because of that.

LdiJ

I don't think anyone intends to post inside a quote - but it is not uncommon.

I was able to read what wwalker wrote. Apparently you were, too.
It took me a minute. I was thinking to myself that I could have sworn that I didn't write that, and only when I went back and looked at my actual post did I realize that the OP had posted inside the quote.

quincy

It took me a minute. I was thinking to myself that I could have sworn that I didn't write that, and only when I went back and looked at my actual post did I realize that the OP had posted inside the quote.
Responses inside quotes have been more common since the forum changes. I have had to go back to some of my own posts to correct them for the same reason.

When a post contains just a quote, I have learned to read the quoted post carefully. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">