• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bluemoon220

Ok so I deliver pharmaceuticals to Wal-Mart pharmacy in oklahoma one of towns I deliver to a officer pulled up while I was inside and wrote me a ticket for being parked in fire lane as soon as I came out can I fight the ticket and if so what all do I need to do?

quincy

Ok so I deliver pharmaceuticals to Wal-Mart pharmacy in oklahoma one of towns I deliver to a officer pulled up while I was inside and wrote me a ticket for being parked in fire lane as soon as I came out can I fight the ticket and if so what all do I need to do?
Were you parked in the fire lane?

PayrollHRGuy

Assuming you were parked in the fire lane, do you have reason to think there is an exemption if you are delivering something?

Bluemoon220

Assuming you were parked in the fire lane, do you have reason to think there is an exemption if you are delivering something?
yeah I was in fire lane I was asking walmart manager because u heard it's private property she said its not normally a problem either and it is private property and rold me call main branch but they forwarded me to automated machines left and right abd repeated everytime I got an actual person and i wanted to make sure that is something I can use instead walking into court making a fool of myself because I know there are a lot of regulations

Just Blue

yeah I was in fire lane I was asking walmart manager because u heard it's private property she said its not normally a problem either and it is private property and rold me call main branch but they forwarded me to automated machines left and right abd repeated everytime I got an actual person and i wanted to make sure that is something I can use instead walking into court making a fool of myself because I know there are a lot of regulations
Your post is hard to read as it is posted. Please edit in some appropriate punctuation. Thanks...

quincy

The private property owner is responsible for maintaining the fire lane, with no parking signs, and cannot permit parking by others in a designated fire lane.

Check the city ordinance.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You have no defense. You might as well pay the fine and do better next time.

FlyingRon

What state/locality is this? In many places, the fact that you are on private property doesn't get you out of observance of traffic/parking law, especially with regard to fire lanes and parking spaces for the disabled. For example, the California law reads:

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device along the edge of any highway, at any curb, or in any location in a publicly or privately owned or operated off-street parking facility, designated as a fire lane by the fire department or fire district with jurisdiction over the area in which the place is located.

quincy

What state/locality is this? In many places, the fact that you are on private property doesn't get you out of observance of traffic/parking law, especially with regard to fire lanes and parking spaces for the disabled. For example, the California law reads:

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device along the edge of any highway, at any curb, or in any location in a publicly or privately owned or operated off-street parking facility, designated as a fire lane by the fire department or fire district with jurisdiction over the area in which the place is located.
The state is Oklahoma.

The state law, and the city ordinances I reviewed, all make the private property owner responsible for maintaining a city-designated fire lane and preventing others from blocking these lanes. Both the ones blocking the lanes, and the property owners who allow for parking in the designated lanes, can be cited for violations of the fire code/ordinance.

Most, if not all States allow law enforcement to issue tickets on private property for parking in a fire lane and parking in a handicapped space without a placard.

FlyingRon

Note that Wal*Mart may also only be a tenant on the property. The shopping center may have granted the police the authority to enforce the parking rules. Note that the state law only requires "official" posting of the no parking zone to allow enforcement apparently.

commentator

You need to pay the ticket. You will waste a lot of time and very likely look like a dummy if you try to fight this ticket. And you will very likely end up paying it anyway. Because the fact is, you did park there, it is VERY likely that the officer had every right to ticket you, you have no defense for parking in the fire lane, as you are not officially allowed to park there, and why should they let you off for it?

quincy

If Bluemoon has not already checked his city ordinances on fire lanes, he can do that to see if there is anything that can help in defense to the ticket - but I certainly don't see one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">