• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to carry the same liability limits on my car insurance policy that my landlord has on their homeowners policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I agree with your advice to not agree to it, but I'm wondering how the OP is being scammed...or the LL for that matter. Not meant as snarky - I just don't see how this is a scam as opposed to just a clueless bunch of folks.

Ok, I can see the LL being scammed in to buying more insurance to supposedly cover the OP's lower level, but that still doesn't mean the OP is being scammed.
That is why I said "or". My dad was an insurance agent and yes, he was a good seller, but he never attempted to sell someone something that they didn't need. The landlord's agent is insisting someone needs something that they clearly do not need...and is being meanly hard sell about it.

hulingsd

I've never noticed that you told us what the term of your lease is. But you are correct for it to be enforceable it needs to be a requirement of the lease.
Yes, month to month. Had she approached it differently, I might have
I've NEVER seen a residential lease that attempts to control the limits of your automobile liability policy, except to say that it must meet the state minimum.
That's my thought as well, I've been renting for 15 years. And I've never ran into this. It's just driving me crazy because I love where I live and we've never had issues. But this year, the rain washed away a huge portion of my drive way and they can't afford to fix it. 3 trees fell in our yard over 3 months ago, they are all still there. My back deck fell out and they didn't repair it, they just closed it off so no one would be injured on it. And I don't complain about any of this... It never occurred to me that things were going insanely wrong. Now I'm questioning lots of things and I think the people I'm renting from are in way over their heads and I'm about to start feeling the pressure from that. They have tons of liabilities on this property and maybe that's why they want me to have 500,000 in coverage. In case the rest of the drive way washes away or a tree falls directly on my apartment.

Whatever, just reinforces the fact that I need to move.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is why I said "or". My dad was an insurance agent and yes, he was a good seller, but he never attempted to sell someone something that they didn't need. The landlord's agent is insisting someone needs something that they clearly do not need...and is being meanly hard sell about it.
See, the point is that the LL's agent isn't trying to sell the insurance to the OP. I agree that things are weird here, but I don't see it as "scamming". Just really weird.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
See, the point is that the LL's agent isn't trying to sell the insurance to the OP. I agree that things are weird here, but I don't see it as "scamming". Just really weird.
I'm wondering if the LL's agent is just... misguided.

It seems odd to focus on the tenant's auto insurance... when I see no mention of renter's insurance.

LdiJ

Yes, month to month. Had she approached it differently, I might have

That's my thought as well, I've been renting for 15 years. And I've never ran into this. It's just driving me crazy because I love where I live and we've never had issues. But this year, the rain washed away a huge portion of my drive way and they can't afford to fix it. 3 trees fell in our yard over 3 months ago, they are all still there. My back deck fell out and they didn't repair it, they just closed it off so no one would be injured on it. And I don't complain about any of this... It never occurred to me that things were going insanely wrong. Now I'm questioning lots of things and I think the people I'm renting from are in way over their heads and I'm about to start feeling the pressure from that. They have tons of liabilities on this property and maybe that's why they want me to have 500,000 in coverage. In case the rest of the drive way washes away or a tree falls directly on my apartment.

Whatever, just reinforces the fact that I need to move.
You really DO need to move. It sounds like it isn't really safe there. However, its still insanely wierd that she would want your auto insurance to have such high coverage. It would make more sense if she wanted you to have renter's insurance with that high of coverage.

Zigner

That makes much more sense. In fact, I wonder if the OP has misunderstood the request.

LdiJ

That makes much more sense. In fact, I wonder if the OP has misunderstood the request.
Possibly, but based on what the LL's insurance agent said it seems unlikely.

she yelled at me and insisted that because I'm on the property anyone who wanted to sue me could come after her property because "lawyers have their way of getting their money" I feel like I'm being scammed.
That sure sounds more like she is claiming that if the OP is sued by an outside party that somehow the landlord could be held liable, rather than wanting to make sure that the OP has enough coverage to protect himself or to protect the landlord against HIS negligence on the property itself.

Actually, now that I think about it there might be some circumstances where the OP could be negligent (on the property) where the landlord had some chance of being held liable, but again, it would be renter's insurance rather than auto insurance in that instance, and normal renter's insurance covers that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Zigner

Possibly, but based on what the LL's insurance agent said it seems unlikely.
Picture it like this: If the OP has never had to deal with renter's insurance before, and the ONLY type of insurance the OP has ever had is auto insurance, then when the agent calls urging the OP to increase the limits on her insurance, the OP might assume that the agent is talking about her auto insurance.

Just a shot in the dark on that...it's all just weird.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">