• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to carry the same liability limits on my car insurance policy that my landlord has on their homeowners policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Oh I have. I don't know who the actual insurance company is, I can only speak with the broker. Makes me wonder if the broker is helping her lie about the situation. Seems far-fetched and I hate to think ill of her, but when something doesn't make sense it usually isn't right.
The thing is, I don't think it matters whether you are a tenant or a family member or friend. I realize that insurance laws do vary from state to state but I have never heard of a situation where someone who had no ownership interest in a vehicle was ever held liable because another adult living in their home (non owner) was negligent in an accident. I could see adding a family member to an auto policy if they lived in the home and therefore could have access to the keys to drive the homeowner's car, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

In my state my daughter is automatically covered to drive my car as an occasional driver for no extra cost because she lives in my home.

hulingsd

The thing is, I don't think it matters whether you are a tenant or a family member or friend. I realize that insurance laws do vary from state to state but I have never heard of a situation where someone who had no ownership interest in a vehicle was ever held liable because another adult living in their home (non owner) was negligent in an accident. I could see adding a family member to an auto policy if they lived in the home and therefore could have access to the keys to drive the homeowner's car, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

In my state my daughter is automatically covered to drive my car as an occasional driver for no extra cost because she lives in my home.
That makes sense to me. They did the same for my mother and I who share this apartment. I just can't comprehend why it has anything to do with my LL.

So update: I spoke with the actual insurance company and they believe it was a misunderstanding. They did not realize we were tenants living in a separate home on the property. I tried to tell my LL that a few days ago when this came up and she kept insisting that they knew and it didn't matter (and her broker insisted on the same). In any case, Central Insurance is contacting the underwriter and broker and LL to clear it up. What a mess! Thank you all for your help!!!

PayrollHRGuy

I'm so glad that this is probably going to work out for you. I'd still keep my eye out for a new place to live because you LL is an idiot and so is her insurance broker. The broker is the one that should have nipped this in the bud.

hulingsd

Hahaha, yes. I still plan on moving. I am just blown away by this and it's a good sign that my time here has come to and end. Thank you!

LdiJ

Hahaha, yes. I still plan on moving. I am just blown away by this and it's a good sign that my time here has come to and end. Thank you!
Sadly, I think that your landlord is probably going to continue to buy into this issue and therefore will have a hard time re-renting the property. However, based on what you have described here, that may not be a bad thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">