• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property manager owes us money, need help with small claims court filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Just some thoughts.

The LLC could be registered in a different state.

Check if he has a license to manage property.
In zoelee's first post, zoelee said the business wasn't registered in Texas or in any other state.

bcr229

How would she know. Not all registers are online.
They are commercial sites so I won't post direct links since that's apparently frowned upon, but a quick Google search shows several places that list the Secretary of State business lookup pages for all states in the US, plus Washington, DC and Puerto Rico.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They are commercial sites so I won't post direct links since that's apparently frowned upon, but a quick Google search shows several places that list the Secretary of State business lookup pages for all states in the US, plus Washington, DC and Puerto Rico.
A link to the Secretary of State business lookup for any particular state is not "commercial".

bcr229

A link to the Secretary of State business lookup for any particular state is not "commercial".
I understand that. The links I found that had the SoS sites listed for all 50 states + DC & PR in a nice convenient one stop shop were commercial though. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was trying to figure out if any states did not have an online lookup but they all do.

PayrollHRGuy

Google has that as well. If you search "STATE Secretary of State Business Lookup" a link to the state in question's SOS will almost always be the top result. I've never seen a case where it isn't but I will admit I haven't searched for every state.

zoelee

Just some thoughts.

The LLC could be registered in a different state.

Check if he has a license to manage property.
I checked all states via google (linked to a "commercial site that claims to search all states. I tested with my own LLC and my realtor's, they all showed up. So I assume the site does what it claims). He doesn't have a realtor's license which is required in our state to manage property.

Even if his LLC is registered via a different state, that doesn't change anything in the small claims court, does it? Since I'm filing against him DBA his LLC, thanks to previous replies to my post.

Last edited:

quincy

I checked all states via google (linked to a "commercial site that claims to search all states. I tested with my own LLC and my realtor's, they all showed up. So I assume the site does what it claims). He doesn't have a realtor's license which is required in our state to manage property.

Even if his LLC is registered via a different state, that doesn't change anything in the small claims court, does it? Since I'm filing against him DBA his LLC, thanks to previous replies to my post.
Your small claims action should not be affected even if the property manager is licensed in another state.

zoelee

Hello everyone who's been helping me out in this post, I need some help figuring out the court appearance date.

I filed the complaint to our county court, but we have a couple of weeks out of town in August. I wonder if I get to choose the court appearance date. If the date is assigned and doesn't work for us, can we ask to change it?

I tried to read the long PDF posted on the county website, but it's a 44 page doc filled with legal jargon. Talking about being user friendly.

Thanks again! This forum is a god's gift to newbies like me.

quincy

Hello everyone who's been helping me out in this post, I need some help figuring out the court appearance date.

I filed the complaint to our county court, but we have a couple of weeks out of town in August. I wonder if I get to choose the court appearance date. If the date is assigned and doesn't work for us, can we ask to change it?

I tried to read the long PDF posted on the county website, but it's a 44 page doc filled with legal jargon. Talking about being user friendly.

Thanks again! This forum is a god's gift to newbies like me.
The court assigns the hearing date but you can request a new date (a continuance).
https://texaslawhelp.org/article/how-ask-continuance

quincy

Thanks quincy. Hopefully the judge will not pick a date when we are out.

How soon are small claims cases scheduled for hearing, do you know?
That is a question I can't answer. It depends on space and time available and allows for proper notice to parties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">