• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please...help me find a motion ,CA....court is at 8am!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whowetalkinbout

What is the name of your state?
California.

I have exhausted my brain trying to make sense of the legal world of courts

when my friend was granted the ProPerSe (i edited this for content, and was tempted to correct this term..., but...then the impression I gave would be lost....) status, at his arraignment, there was, a statement made that implied there would be a limited amount of resources made available to him...but there is nothing....
no forms, no timeline...

we have not yet summoned for evidence/docs/testimony nor submitted any evidence on his behalf.

I need to ask the court for a continiance without disrespecting. I can find any forms or info anywhere ...

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I'm in the mojave desert, San Bernardino county, California.

when my friend was granted the ProPerSe status, at his arraignment, there was, a statement made that implied there would be a limited amount of resources made available to him...but there is nothing....
no forms, no timeline...

we have not yet summoned for evidence/docs/testimony nor submitted any evidence on his behalf.

I need to ask the court for a continiance without disrespecting. I can find any forms or info anywhere ...
You are not an attorney and should not be filing motions for your friend. That's the definition of unlicensed practice of law.

FlyingRon

If your friend is the one on trial, YOU can't request anything. He may be acting pro per (representing himself without an attorney) but you can't as a non-attorney provide legal assistance to him. (And I assume you're not an attorney given the silly "pro per se" reference.

He was told correctly. The "resource" provided to a criminal defendant is an attorney. The state isn't obliged otherwise. If your friend is indigent, a public defender will be provided.

What makes you think you will be summoned or will submit anything?

The morning of the trial is usually a bit late to be asking for continuance. What your friend SHOULD do is throw himself at the mercy of the court and admit he has no business going this pro per, and ask for leave to obtain counsel.

Just Blue

I'm in the mojave desert, San Bernardino county, California.

when my friend was granted the ProPerSe status, at his arraignment, there was, a statement made that implied there would be a limited amount of resources made available to him...but there is nothing....
no forms, no timeline...

You can't ask the court for anything. You are at risk for arrest. Practicing Law without a license is a felony.

whowetalkinbout

well, i guess I should have pretended to be him to direct myself the desired advice. I was certainly expecting the professional courtesy every lawyer shows one another by advising well, i guess I should have pretended to be him to direct myself the desired advice. I was certainly expecting the professional courtesy every lawyer shows one another by advising that he get an attorney

whowetalkinbout

well, i guess I should have pretended to be him to direct myself the desired advice. I was certainly expecting the professional courtesy every lawyer shows one another by advising well, i guess I should have pretended to be him to direct myself the desired advice. I was certainly expecting the professional courtesy every lawyer shows one another by advising that he get an attorney
on that note: will someone help him by suggesting what forms he should ask for in order to subpeona for dash cams?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well, i guess I should have pretended to be him to direct myself the desired advice. I was certainly expecting the professional courtesy every lawyer shows one another by advising
That doesn't really make sense, but I think I understand. You think that, by lying about who you are, we would have led you step-by-step through this matter. Well, you are are wrong. The advice would have been the same. Your friend needs an attorney.

Just Blue

We gave you the courtesy of warning you that you are breaking the law. Had we not done so you may be facing criminal charges.

Last edited:

whowetalkinbout

That doesn't really make sense, but I think I understand. You think that, by lying about who you are, we would have led you step-by-step through this matter. Well, you are are wrong. The advice would have been the same. Your friend needs an attorney.

seriously...i figured my tone would have been obvious, but, my bad...it is subject to interpretation. I don't necessarily have communication skills worth any awards.

no, I did not figure how you suggest. I figured that practicing law is a fine tuned art-takes years of studying to begin and constantly updating your knowledge. I don't deny the necessity for an experienced lawyer. however, it isn't feasible. especially considering he asked the court to be allowed to represent himself. he is no doubt in over his head, yet, stubborn. I kinda figured he will find himself at the mercy of the judge, when he humbly asks for counsel...providing he does this prior to the preliminary hearing. in the meantime, what's the harm in doing some of his own legwork that the public defender obviously don't like doing? most conflict lawyers don't find or have the time to delegate investigation-so it seems.

I am pretty cynical...but i really didn't see you guys getting so weird about this.
good thing I didn't ask for a timeline on the early motions and submission of evidence?

I mean, kinda giving an impression, not that any of the attys give a shit if this seems a bit cliquey to me.
then again, I've been honest-yet accused of lying and breaking the law...(absurd, defensive, much?)
is this just a way for the lawyers to advertise? because...I don't practice law, I haven't. I was only trying to help out a friend who can't drop a retainer at the feet of anyone that won't hear him out. come down to earth, I mean...there ain't no such thing as "good guys and bad guys"....

quincy

seriously...i figured my tone would have been obvious, but, my bad...it is subject to interpretation. I don't necessarily have communication skills worth any awards.

no, I did not figure how you suggest. I figured that practicing law is a fine tuned art-takes years of studying to begin and constantly updating your knowledge. I don't deny the necessity for an experienced lawyer. however, it isn't feasible. especially considering he asked the court to be allowed to represent himself. he is no doubt in over his head, yet, stubborn. I kinda figured he will find himself at the mercy of the judge, when he humbly asks for counsel...providing he does this prior to the preliminary hearing. in the meantime, what's the harm in doing some of his own legwork that the public defender obviously don't like doing? most conflict lawyers don't find or have the time to delegate investigation-so it seems.

I am pretty cynical...but i really didn't see you guys getting so weird about this.
good thing I didn't ask for a timeline on the early motions and submission of evidence?

I mean, kinda giving an impression, not that any of the attys give a shit if this seems a bit cliquey to me.
then again, I've been honest-yet accused of lying and breaking the law...(absurd, defensive, much?)
is this just a way for the lawyers to advertise? because...I don't practice law, I haven't. I was only trying to help out a friend who can't drop a retainer at the feet of anyone that won't hear him out. come down to earth, I mean...there ain't no such thing as "good guys and bad guys"....
The judge probably will see that your friend knows nothing about the law or how to defend himself against a criminal charge and assign a public defender to assist him with his defense.

What is the charge against your friend?

whowetalkinbout

You can't ask the court for anything. You are at risk for arrest. Practicing Law without a license is a felony.

I can do whatever I want to do, this is the free world. my ignorance will get me what I have coming, then. maybe I will be a felon that asked the wrong flipping question, then. my goodness. does no one notice all of the ludicrous laws in place to keep the little criminals in their place? just lame. wonder how the world would be without the stupid people. liberty is a joke, there is a price to pay for freedom...it is the balancing factor-sometimes you gotta let it go...without demanding the law!

it is like a flipping magicians code...shhhh ...no one that hasn't paid their BAR dues can know what you know....(language removed) perverse

Just Blue

You're "helping out a friend" = Practicing Law without a License. We are basing that conclusion per your own postings.

And do yourself a favor...Read the TOS of this site.

Just Blue

I can do whatever I want to do, this is the free world. my ignorance will get me what I have coming, then. maybe I will be a felon that asked the wrong flipping question, then. my goodness. does no one notice all of the ludicrous laws in place to keep the little criminals in their place? just lame. wonder how the world would be without the stupid people. liberty is a joke, there is a price to pay for freedom...it is the balancing factor-sometimes you gotta let it go...without demanding the law!

it is like a flipping magicians code...shhhh ...no one that hasn't paid their BAR dues can know what you know....(language removed) perverse
Do you have some type of ...challenge...that prevents you from understanding what was written?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">