• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clinic did not realize I was on Valium for 3 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul J.

After 3 months of no Valium, the only problems you should be experiencing are the ones that led you to take Valium in the first place.
But couldn't they possibly be held liable for the pain and suffering of the withdrawal episode?

Paul J.

Maybe. What did you experience in the way of withdrawal?

Well, first there was the anxiety and the panic from discovering that I was left without Valium after years of use, not knowing what was going to happen to me or what to do next.

Then there were the headaches, the stomach cramps and loose bowels. My insomnia was aggravated, I would go days without sleeping. I had tremors, mood disturbances. I could not go out and enjoy my regular activities. I had difficulties concentrating. There was a stretch of it during which I experienced flu-like symptoms. I would get up and feel too hot and then later on during the day I would feel too cold.

The whole episode lasted about five weeks, the first two weeks were the most distressing.

quincy

Well, first there was the anxiety and the panic from discovering that I was left without Valium after years of use, not knowing what was going to happen to me or what to do next.

Then there were the headaches, the stomach cramps and loose bowels. My insomnia was aggravated, I would go days without sleeping. I had tremors, mood disturbances. I could not go out and enjoy my regular activities. I had difficulties concentrating. There was a stretch of it during which I experienced flu-like symptoms. I would get up and feel too hot and then later on during the day I would feel too cold.

The whole episode lasted about five weeks, the first two weeks were the most distressing.
And you saw no doctor during this time, as advised by the clinic?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What symptoms are you still experiencing today? And how long ago was this?

Paul J.

They advised me to see another doctor before the withdrawal that I saw coming. When I was asking them to write another script and they refused. I did not speak to them while I was experiencing symptoms (as they had already denied me, I did not see the point in begging and pleading.)

I did go see a doctor during my illness but I was informed that the person who had put me on the medication was the one who should have assisted me with discontinuing the medication. I could not find any doctors that were willing to treat me, asking to write prescriptions for Valium. They did refer me to psych services, saying a psychiatrist may be able to intervene. But the next available psych appointment was a month away and by then, I could see that I was improving as I've had experiences withdrawing from other sleep medications. So I didn't bother with all the psych evaluations and stuff.

I did decide to file that grievance with the clinic though.

quincy

They advised me to see another doctor before the withdrawal that I saw coming. When I was asking them to write another script and they refused. I did not speak to them while I was experiencing symptoms (as they had already denied me, I did not see the point in begging and pleading.)

I did go see a doctor during my illness but I was informed that the person who had put me on the medication was the one who should have assisted me with discontinuing the medication. I could not find any doctors that were willing to treat me, asking to write prescriptions for Valium. They did refer me to psych services, saying a psychiatrist may be able to intervene. But the next available psych appointment was a month away and by then, I could see that I was improving as I've had experiences withdrawing from other sleep medications. So I didn't bother with all the psych evaluations and stuff.

I did decide to file that grievance with the clinic though.
The major problem I see in what you have described is the failure by the clinic to reexamine you prior to refilling your Valium prescription after a 3-month withdrawal from the drug.

You could review facts with an attorney in your area to see if there is a good legal action for you to pursue.

PayrollHRGuy

To write you a refill for Valium without seeing you and doing ongoing tests could be considered malpractice and in some state illegal.

quincy

To write you a refill for Valium without seeing you and doing ongoing tests could be considered malpractice and in some state illegal.
That is the one area I think might be worth exploring with an attorney.

It is unfortunate that Valium was prescribed again after withdrawal. It is entirely possible another treatment would have been preferable.

PayrollHRGuy

That is the one area I think might be worth exploring with an attorney.

It is unfortunate that Valium was prescribed again after withdrawal. It is entirely possible another treatment would have been preferable.
The OP won't do that because that would stop her Valium supply.

quincy

The OP won't do that because that would stop her Valium supply.
Possibly.

The continued need for Valium (apparently) was never explored through examination after withdrawal, though, so the clinic appears to be a willing supplier. That is what I see as a major problem for the clinic.

Paul J.

Possibly.

The continued need for Valium (apparently) was never explored through examination after withdrawal, though, so the clinic appears to be a willing supplier. That is what I see as a major problem for the clinic.

Before they first prescribed the Valium, they did try about six or seven other medications, and none proved to be effective treatment for my condition. Valium was only approved at the end of many trials.

But they did not retest me after withdrawal.

Paul J.

I decided to go to the "follow up care" visit at the clinic, out of curiosity, and also because I decided I just don't have the time and energy to pursue legal cases right now.

I noticed everyone was super nice to me. The receptionists and nurses there are never that polite. And while I appreciated this care, I was also apprehensive about it.

The doctor I saw was guarded, asked a few questions, did a quick check up, and I walked out with a script for Valium. They basically reinstated the same treatment plan I was on before someone made the mistake of terminating it.

I think this is what they had planned all along but did not want to tell me. I wished they had just called me up on the phone and said: "Look, we
made a mistake, that doctor who refused to fill the script failed to look at your history, did not know who you were. Just come back to the clinic and
we'll continue the treatment plan. Sorry for the confusion."

But instead, we went back and forth through grievance. They sent me this really carefully worded letter that didn't mean anything. I could get no answers over the phone. And I noticed they never apologized. They regretted any "inconvenience" I experienced or "aggravation," but nothing further. Words like "confusion," "misunderstanding," let alone "mistake," seemed blacklisted or something. Possibly because they are legal snares. Those words always made them nervous.

I do feel like I was maneuvered, like getting me back to the clinic helped them correct their mistake and fix their records. (It in turn benefited me because I get my Valium, you might say). So there was this unspoken bartering. But they really did mess up. I think the mess up was so bad that they could not conceal it. If they was a way they could keep the truth from me, I would never have known what really happened.

quincy

Before they first prescribed the Valium, they did try about six or seven other medications, and none proved to be effective treatment for my condition. Valium was only approved at the end of many trials.

But they did not retest me after withdrawal.
With prescription drugs, there should be regular examinations to make sure the drugs are still necessary (or are at the proper dosage).

Refilling prescriptions over and over again without patient contact is one of the areas that is being investigated on the federal level for abuses.

Because you were without Valium for three months, the Clinic should have reexamined you.

If you want to explore this further, you should speak to an attorney in your area. If you are happy now that you have your Valium again, then there is probably not much more to do.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The doctor I saw was guarded, asked a few questions, did a quick check up, and I walked out with a script for Valium. They basically reinstated the same treatment plan I was on before someone made the mistake of terminating it.
In other words, once you went back to the doctor, they did an exam and then reinstated your prescription.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">