• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undercover Police Investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

I once worked a supposed accidental death (in the Sheriff's jurisdiction - I just happened to be first on scene when I followed up on a missing person) that was written off as an accident but reopened almost a year later when the insurance investigators got involved and provided details that the Sheriff's Detectives had not investigated (in my opinion, they too quickly ruled it an accidental drowning). I was involved because MY report (the M/P and follow-up including the finding of the body) was the more detailed report and longer than the actual death investigation! In any event, the matter lingered for over three years before the insurance company finally paid off and the Sheriff closed the case. I've also dealt with cases (suicides, suspicions deaths, etc.) where family and PIs pop up periodically to provide "new facts" to muddy the waters. These matters do have a way of coming back up from time to time.

CdwJava

Yeah, especially when a million dollar policy had been taken out on the wife like 6 months earlier and were separating. And, conveniently the wife drowned after her car drove into a canal after she was left by her husband to finish setting up a duck blind and a storm rolled in.

quincy

Yeah, especially when a million dollar policy had been taken out on the wife like 6 months earlier and were separating. And, conveniently the wife drowned after her car drove into a canal after she was left by her husband to finish setting up a duck blind and a storm rolled in.
Wow. That sort of screams out for an investigation by the insurer (and the police).

CdwJava

Wow. That sort of screams out for an investigation by the insurer (and the police).
Yep! They kept coming to me, and it was not my case! But, because MY investigation contained greater detail, they assumed I was the lead investigator. (That may say something about the Sheriff's investigation.)

Ultimately, I understand the insurance was paid and the case was closed.

quincy

Ultimately, I understand the insurance was paid and the case was closed.
After all of this time, StinkingBadges is probably looking for a "case closed." Apparently something about her husband's death attracted attention.

Just Blue

After all of this time, StinkingBadges is probably looking for a "case closed." Apparently something about her husband's death attracted attention.
According to the other thread, her husband died of a drug overdose and there was manufacturing materials in the home.

quincy

According to the other thread, her husband died of a drug overdose and there was manufacturing materials in the home.
StinkingBadges apparently has been/is being investigated after the death of her husband, though. Whether the investigation is due to the circumstances of the death or StinkingBadges' connection with drugs is still a question mark.

Have you been charged with a crime?

Did the police ever show you a search warrant? Were you given a list of items taken from your home?

Were any illegal items, like drugs, visible upon entry into your home?

Whether any rights were violated depends on answers to all of the questions asked - but certainly if you are under investigation for a crime or charged with a crime, you should be speaking only with an attorney you hire and not with any law enforcement officers.
No, the police never showed me or gave me a search warrant and they never gave me a list of items taken from my home. There were not any illegal items visible upon entry into my home. I may have been profiled because of where I live and how it looked inside, white trash mobile home park plus I'm thin and was scared out of mind probably shaking and in shock. I have not been charged with a crime and I never speak to LEO's.

I'm very sorry for your loss...

What was the cause of death? What did they remove from your home? Is this drug related? Did your husband have a history of drug addiction? Have you been charged? If so..for what?
Thank you. Cause of death was a heart attack. I do not know what they removed from my home. They wouldn't let me look inside of the body bag. Yes, he did, the secondary cause of death was recent use of _______. I don't wish to name the drug. I've not been charged.

Not sure...I was posting to it when it went "poof!" so I asked OP why did she deleted. She said she didn't mean to. I "think" she did the edit thing, but I am not sure.
The other day when I very first opened an account and posted my very first post I somehow managed to delete it instead of posting it and so I immediately reposted it, thinking about it now I maybe could have just edited it or something, I'm pretty new to forums in general.

Quite frankly, if the police respond to a home and find a victim of a suspicious death, they are going to look for a cause. It may be as simple as searching for what items (food, drink, meds) had been consumed, or as extensive as a search for weapons, points of entry and exit, etc. And, if consent is denied, a search warrant would be forthcoming. I have to say that the ONLY denials for consent I recall receiving when a deceased person is involved have been when the person able to grant consent is a suspect.

As mentioned, the police are NOT going to remove evidence in a body bag. The body, alone, should be in there. If the body had tubes or wires from any medical devices attached to it, they would also be in there. But, no evidence. That'd be stupid.
I would not have thought it was a suspicious death because EMS has been to the house twice before due to his heart attacks and when I called 911 I said he wasn't breathing and then asked them to give me directions so that I could give him CPR which I did until the ambulance got there. The other times I had to call 911 only Paramedics showed up and this time was a lot different probably because of him not breathing, CPR, and how frantic I must have sounded which I would have been frantic the other times too but I never asked about CPR before. I'm white but it's always been drilled into my head that people should never talk to cops and or give consent to search. Maybe that's because my dad is a cop, I'm really not sure about that part of the question. Police can interpret things so wrong especially when dealing with somebody like me because I just always think people know what I mean and when I say stupid stuff probably because everyone I know knows me so well. While the Paramedics were working on my husband one of the Deputies showed me a piece of paper that had my writing on it, it was an old letter to my husband and I have no idea how he got his hands on it, he showed it to me and sort of sternly asked me what it was all about it was as though he was holding a smoking gun or a bloodied knife. That really puzzled me. The first time he asked for my consent he said it was because he wanted to make sure he didn't fall and hit his head or anything like that, however, it was very obvious that there weren't any signs of foul play, no blood, no bumps, no bruises, no scratches, not anything except him, he was even naked. He didn't even appear to be deceased at all, it's kind of scary because he looked alive but wasn't breathing. His autopsy says he looked like a normal man his age. I don't think just because a person doesn't give consent that it should automatically register as suspect, especially this day in age where it seems like everyone's heard of it in some form or fashion, with social media, YouTube, friends, family, word of mouth, I really think even the Pope would know not to give consent. Maybe I'm wrong about that part but I don't think so. If I am wrong then I think there needs to be some retraining of cops in that area as well as other areas.

My post did not contain anything about my husband dying of a drug overdose or about manufacturing materials in my home. After this post was already posted (the one I am replying to now) I did reply to somebody else's post answering their question about drugs and my reply was that his secondary cause of death (which I found out after I got his death certificate in the mail weeks later) was recent use of _________ (I didn't want to name the drug) so it isn't clear to me how anyone could have come to that conclusion especially before the reply I just described. I've never mentioned the words drug overdose or manufacturing materials anywhere in this forum or anywhere in general, not ever. I'm trying to sound kind and so I hope my words are taken as such, they might sound snitty but that's not my intention.

StinkingBadges apparently has been/is being investigated after the death of her husband, though. Whether the investigation is due to the circumstances of the death or StinkingBadges' connection with drugs is still a question mark.
My guess would be as good as anyone else's. This is going to sound really bad and I'm sure once everyone reads this they all will roll their eyes and think to themselves thanks for wasting my time but as I'm sure everyone can imagine that if you are the subject of an undercover investigation the police or the agents who are working undercover aren't going to come right up to you and say Hi, I'm Agent so and so please let me into your life because I'm conducting an investigation into any possible criminal activity you may be involved in so just pretend I'm an old friend or whatever while I snoop all around you. I'm guessing that would really blow their cover. After a while, it's pretty easy to figure out though. I'm sure I freaked them out several times when calling them out on it but they apparently they had a job to do and did it, in my eyes, not a great job because it was so obvious but whatever. So, I can't think of a full proof way to be 100% sure that these fellows are working undercover because that would probably blow their cover too if I were to find out and haven't been arrested and spending the rest of my life in prison. Eventually, they have to exit stage right and won't be able to do damage control or whatever. I hope and pray that I'm 100% wrong about all of this, that would be so wonderful and great, it would actually be a dream come true, however, I'm as sure as a person can be without having direct knowledge and if I had direct knowledge they would send somebody I didn't know to investigate me as the worse case and the most likely scenario would be that I'd never been under investigation because I'd be a part of law enforcement if I had that kind of knowledge, which I'm not. I hope that all makes sense, you might need to read it twice. I'm happy to answer more questions if need be. I hope somebody who reads all of this does get it and has an answer for me but I do understand that it's probably not something people hear about or read about every day. I'm sure most who are the targets of an investigation ends up in jail and never catch on that these new peeps in their lives are actual cops or others may be too frightened to ever even open their mouths up about their suspicion hoping it will all just go away, you know the kind, bootlickers per say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">