• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I able to opt out of drug court and use my first offenders to take regular probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Thanks. They had approved it before but I never ended up going through with it but since they've moved the classes 30 minutes further than where I already had to travel it's a little ridiculous. Hopefully they'll go for it again.
All you can do is make the request. The rest is out of your hands.

I hope you take advantage of all that the drug court program has to offer.

Good luck.

The most you can do is request the transfer. Because the programs can vary from county to county, you very well could find your request denied.

Good luck.
Drug court is a joke. AA is where I get my recovery. Drug court should be called stay

Good luck.
The drug court I'm in is ran by 30 year old girls that have never used a drug a day in there life. I wish I had something useful there TO take advantage of. Drug court should really be called "stay out of jail court" because that's the only reason people take it. And I wouldn't have even gone to jail! It did save my life though, just the rudimentary act of drug testing and being present at class. I'm ready for it to be over.

quincy

Drug court is a joke. AA is where I get my recovery. Drug court should be called stay

The drug court I'm in is ran by 30 year old girls that have never used a drug a day in there life. I wish I had something useful there TO take advantage of. Drug court should really be called "stay out of jail court" because that's the only reason people take it. And I wouldn't have even gone to jail! It did save my life though, just the rudimentary act of drug testing and being present at class. I'm ready for it to be over.
Keeping people out of jails and saving lives seem to me to be pretty good reasons for drug courts to exist. ;)

Good luck.

Why are you surprised that I got probation on my first offense. Did you read the amount I was caught with?
Yes I did.
From first hand knowledge a common ploy of drug dealers is to only have a small amount of each drug, say about half a gram, in their possession at one time. When it's sold they would 're-stock' another small amount. Makes claiming it's only for personal consumption a lot easier.

quincy

Yes I did.
From first hand knowledge a common ploy of drug dealers is to only have a small amount of each drug, say about half a gram, in their possession at one time. When it's sold they would 're-stock' another small amount. Makes claiming it's only for personal consumption a lot easier.
It is a bit difficult to make a charge stick without evidence to support the charge.

Whatever the case, drug court is what Roboputnam was eligible for and what Roboputnam is currently trying to complete.

Yes I did.
Okay so what you're saying is we should charge every drug user with possession with intent to distribute just because you "think" that's how drug dealers do it?

quincy

I saw the "pig" reference.

I believe it was already suggested that Roboputnam speak to his/her lawyer about the transfer.

Okay so what you're saying is we should charge every drug user with possession with intent to distribute just because you "think" that's how drug dealers do it?
I seem to have hit a nerve.
When I arrested someone for possession of drugs the norm was to have some coke, or some meth or some heroin, only dealers would have such a varied selection.
And it wasn't just thinking, it was from formal training with the DEA.

quincy

I seem to have hit a nerve.
When I arrested someone for possession of drugs the norm was to have some coke, or some meth or some heroin, only dealers would have such a varied selection.
And it wasn't just thinking, it was from formal training with the DEA.
But ... despite what your experience tells you, to actually charge someone with possession with intent to distribute, there must be evidence to support the charge.

But ... despite what your experience tells you, to actually charge someone with possession with intent to distribute, there must be evidence to support the charge.
True, and the dealers also know this, hence the carrying of only enough drugs, or in this case an assortment of drugs to avoid such a charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">