• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom's life insurance policy went to my aunt, which was a huge mistake!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dji420

What is the name of your state? California

Regarding a verbal agreement, would I have rights to a house that my late mom wanted me to have and that was purchased with money from her estate/life insurance policy?
My mom's dying wish was for her sister, my aunt, to buy a home for me and my brothers, which she did. However, she never put our names on the deed, only hers, her husband's and a Trust, are on the deed. She has taken most if not all of the equity & didn't make any improvements to the home, & the house is falling apart, we've lived in it since 1991. Now, she has stopped talking to us because we asked her questions about the house. What can we do?

ajkroy

In nearly 30 years of living there, have you been performing regular maintenance on the home? How much do you pay toward the upkeep?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your aunt was the beneficiary of the policy, then the money was supposed to go to her. She would have had no legal obligation to put the house in your name. Letting you live there was her personal choice. If the house you live in is in such bad shape, and if your landlord (your aunt) won't do anything to fix it up, then I would suggest that you move.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? California

Regarding a verbal agreement, would I have rights to a house that my late mom wanted me to have and that was purchased with money from her estate/life insurance policy?
My mom's dying wish was for her sister, my aunt, to buy a home for me and my brothers, which she did. However, she never put our names on the deed, only hers, her husband's and a Trust, are on the deed. She has taken most if not all of the equity & didn't make any improvements to the home, & the house is falling apart, we've lived in it since 1991. Now, she has stopped talking to us because we asked her questions about the house. What can we do?
What can you do? Buy the house and maintain it, and stop acting like tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">