• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Youtube violating Fair Use Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

photoguys2003

Hello i am in California. Is it possible to sue Youtube for violating the Fair Use Act? they shut down my channel on toxic mold education. they never sent me a reason why or gave me a chance to correct any thing that i missed. I did use some news stories that were aired on tv but i always put "fair use notice" on the beginning of my videos.
What you think?
Thanks

Eli

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello i am in California. Is it possible to sue Youtube for violating the Fair Use Act? they shut down my channel on toxic mold education. they never sent me a reason why or gave me a chance to correct any thing that i missed. I did use some news stories that were aired on tv but i always put "fair use notice" on the beginning of my videos.
What you think?
Thanks

Eli
What protected right do you think has been violated? Or, put another way, why do you think you can force a private business to allow you to post?

Just Blue

What you think?
Thanks

Eli
Do you have an extra 50/100k burning a hole in your pocket?

quincy

What you think?
Thanks

Eli
There is no "Fair Use Act." Fair use is an affirmative defense to a copyright infringement claim. It is not permission to use copyright-protected material. It is a "yes, I infringed but it is permitted" defense.

If a copyright holder believes your unauthorized use of their copyrighted material is infringing on the exclusive rights they hold in the work, they can sue you.

YouTube is a privately-owned site and, as such, the site can choose what is put on the site, and what is not. They can open and close accounts as they choose.

YouTube is protected from suit under the Communications Decency Act's section 230 if they do not help create the content that is said to violate a law (infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, etc) or encourage its publication. And, in order for YouTube to protect themselves from liability for copyright-infringing content published on their site (in violation of their terms and conditions), YouTube must remove any content claimed by a copyright holder to be infringement when YouTube receives a DMCA takedown notice from the copyright holder.

You have no legal action to pursue against YouTube. You potentially could challenge your rights to have used the copyright-protected material on YouTube with a fair use defense, however, if the copyright holder sues you. The court will then decide if your use was a fair use of copyrighted material or an infringement on the copyright holder's rights, based on several different factors.

The factors a court looks at when looking at a fair use defense will include the purpose and character of the use of material, the nature of the copyrighted work, the amount and substantiality of the portion of the work used in relation to its whole, and the effect of the use upon the market for or value of the work.

Last edited:

quincy

Well-written disclaimers can work in some cases to mitigate the damages awarded in a lawsuit, which is a good reason to have them, but they do not prevent lawsuits. What works best in preventing lawsuits is to not violate anyone's rights and to not violate any laws. :)

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
YouTube is a privately-owned site and, as such, the site can choose what is put on the site, and what is not. They can open and close accounts as they choose.
For the most part that is true; the terms of service for YouTube are written heavily in its favor. But still, there are a few limitations to what it can do, though none that apply to the OP's situation.

Is it possible to sue Youtube for violating the Fair Use Act? they shut down my channel on toxic mold education. they never sent me a reason why or gave me a chance to correct any thing that i missed. I did use some news stories that were aired on tv but i always put "fair use notice" on the beginning of my videos.
What you think?
Thanks

Eli
No. You can't sue them for anything you think you may be able to. They are a private site and they don't have to tell you anything. They don't even have to let you post on the site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">