• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fund distribution after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fbt607

What is the name of your state? NY

is it common for mortgage fund to take until next day of closing to be distributed?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

is it common for mortgage fund to take until next day of closing to be distributed?
With no other information regarding the circumstances I don't think that there is a clear answer to your question.

fbt607

What do you mean by "mortgage fund?"
sorry I'm not a pro in that area.

to simplify it: closed on a house but the buyer's bank did not distribute the fund from the sale yet. is that possible? because I understand the fund is distributed to seller, brokers... at the time of closing

quincy

sorry I'm not a pro in that area.

to simplify it: closed on a house but the buyer's bank did not distribute the fund from the sale yet. is that possible? because I understand the fund is distributed to seller, brokers... at the time of closing
Usually checks are disbursed at closing.

paddywakk

Sold my house on 7/3 but funds weren't transferred to my account before 7/5. Depends. Are you getting a check or EFT?

adjusterjack

The buyer's funds must be deposited in the escrow company's account before the deed can be recorded. The deed must be recorded before the funds can be disbursed to the seller.

There's enough slop in those three steps for the entire process to be completed the same day or take a couple of days depending on the timing of each step and the backlog of the recorder's office.

I bought a house recently. I brought my cashier's check to the escrow office on the morning of the closing date. It was deposited immediately, the deed was recorded electronically and the sellers got their check the same day.

Given the experiences of me (same day) and Paddywakk (two days) I wouldn't call next day disbursement uncommon.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Given the experiences of me (same day) and Paddywakk (two days) I wouldn't call next day disbursement uncommon.
Heck, given those two data points, I would call "next day" the average amount of time it takes ;)

If the funds are being disbursed by wire transfer and the wire is initiated past the cutoff point for the institutions involved, then next day is perfectly understandable.

fbt607

very weird. bank attorney saying the transfer did not go thru yet so they did not distribute the funds yet. closing happened yesterday and seller still did not get any money althu he gave keys to the buyer. that's not normal correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and was the check to be mailed to you, or were you going to pick it up?
...and have you received it now?

fbt607

...and was the check to be mailed to you, or were you going to pick it up?
...and have you received it now?
he said he will over night it. called today and said the wire did not go thru. should I be concerned? I am the real estate broker lol

PayrollHRGuy

he said he will over night it. called today and said the wire did not go thru. should I be concerned? I am the real estate broker lol
Is this your first sale as a real estate broker?

When you were asked how funds were to transferred you said check. But that is only the last step. They first have to be wired to the lawyer.

Have you contacted the entity that was supposed to initiate the wire?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">