• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor/contractor liability agreement re access to our property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalBeagleMe

Indiana is our location.
Our neighbor has contracted a tree service crew to do work radically trimming a large tree in their yard which is very close to our property. In addition, they may need access to our property to complete the work.

Is there any kind of agreement form I might get the neighbor and/or contractor to sign that would state that they are completely liable for damages (such as damage to our driveway, near surface drainage pipe, falling tree or branches, etc.) that might occur as a result of any facet of this work and that it would be their responsibility to make repairs to our satisfaction within a specified limited time?

LegalBeagleMe

certificate of insurance
Sounds good, but in seeking to understand your suggestion, I found online:
"When a client requests a COI, they become a certificate holder. The client's name and contact information appear in the bottom left-hand corner along with statements showing the insurer's obligation to notify the client of policy cancellations. "
Question: How would this affect me since I am not the client? (Hope I am not breaking rules by quoting this.) Thanks.

PayrollHRGuy

Well since I have no idea where you got that little tidbit of info.

The CoI proves that the tree service has the insurance listed on the CoI at the time the CoI was created. The CoI grants you no other protection than you would have without it other than that.

Have you as the cert holder just shows that you were provided the information.

The point of this is so you will know they have insurance and who they have it with should something bad happen due to their negligence.

LegalBeagleMe

Well since I have no idea where you got that little tidbit of info.

The CoI proves that the tree service has the insurance listed on the CoI at the time the CoI was created. The CoI grants you no other protection than you would have without it other than that.

Have you as the cert holder just shows that you were provided the information.

The point of this is so you will know they have insurance and who they have it with should something bad happen due to their negligence.
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">