• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong beneficiary!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinkers

Me as well as the whole family and friends of my even my grandfather believes she shouldn't be the beneficiary. Everyone was suprised. Yeah she would of really rolled in her grave if he would of recieved it.

Eekamouse

Me as well as the whole family and friends of my even my grandfather believes she shouldn't be the beneficiary. Everyone was suprised. Yeah she would of really rolled in her grave if he would of recieved it.
Your mother decided years ago who her beneficiaries were. She had ample time to change them but chose not to. The money goes to the people she designated it go to.

Just Blue

Well...She didn't change the beneficiary and there is nothing to be done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's really not the point. Legally, what is in writing(the policy) is what matters.

PayrollHRGuy

She had from the time she divorced her ex to the day she died to make the change. Not to speak ill of the dead but she screwed up. Get over it.

Quinkers

She had from the time she divorced her ex to the day she died to make the change. Not to speak ill of the dead but she screwed up. Get over it.
Like I had previously said she probably thought the will was enough considering she had to get a lawyer for it.. 250,000 is alot to "get over" I just thought there would be more to legislation to not let poor things happen like this.

Just Blue

Like I had previously said she probably thought the will was enough considering she had to get a lawyer for it.. 250,000 is alot to "get over" I just thought there would be more to legislation to not let poor things happen like this.
Perhaps she meant to leave the policy to as is. How much was the rest of the estate worth?

Quinkers

Perhaps she meant to leave the policy to as is. How much was the rest of the estate worth?
The primary was her ex husband from 2 marriages ago. Over 3 decades.. She couldnt stand him. She told us over and over again she had life insurance for us. She had been in a serious accident in 2000 that affected her brain and had a major lawsuit. She eventually came to but I dont think that would of caused her to forget to ever update the policy but who knows. The life insurance company literally knew nothing. I contacted them they always took weeks to answer the simplest of things...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So there is no legal action that can be taken? Knowing that this isnt what my mom wanted?
No. There is no legal action that can be taken. Even knowing that this isn't what your Mom wanted.

I hope that this is now clear to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As many of the regular responders here know, I work in the Benefits office of my employer. Among the benefits we administer for our employees is life insurance which we provide to them.

True story. A few years ago an employee of mine called our office and asked for a life insurance beneficiary change form. Our beneficiary information is provided on paper forms, not electronically. (I know, I know. You don't have to tell me.) I sent it to him. That was on a Friday. Unfortunately, he did not give me any indication when he called, who he wanted as his new beneficiary.

Over the weekend, he was killed in a car accident. The death was reported to us on Monday.

We KNEW that he wanted to change his beneficiary because he had asked for the form. He had not returned it to us and his family could find no evidence that he had completed it.

After many discussions with our attorneys and the Office of General Counsel, we had to instruct the insurance carrier to pay the original beneficiary.

Your mother had multiple time to change the form. I understand that she may have thought that the will overruled it. She was wrong. There's nothing that can be done now.

Quinkers

As many of the regular responders here know, I work in the Benefits office of my employer. Among the benefits we administer for our employees is life insurance which we provide to them.

True story. A few years ago an employee of mine called our office and asked for a life insurance beneficiary change form. Our beneficiary information is provided on paper forms, not electronically. (I know, I know. You don't have to tell me.) I sent it to him. That was on a Friday. Unfortunately, he did not give me any indication when he called, who he wanted as his new beneficiary.

Over the weekend, he was killed in a car accident. The death was reported to us on Monday.

We KNEW that he wanted to change his beneficiary because he had asked for the form. He had not returned it to us and his family could find no evidence that he had completed it.

After many discussions with our attorneys and the Office of General Counsel, we had to instruct the insurance carrier to pay the original beneficiary.

Your mother had multiple time to change the form. I understand that she may have thought that the will overruled it. She was wrong. There's nothing that can be done now.
Yeah it really is awfull that nothing can be done in these situations..

PayrollHRGuy

Why would there be legislation that would override the written desire of the policyholder? The state is not there to hold your hand through life.

Eekamouse

That your grandfather is willing to fork over his half of the life insurance policy to you is incredibly generous of him and you should be grateful that he's doing that when he has absolutely no reason to do that for you. Stop acting so greedy and resentful. You're lucky you're getting what you're getting. Your grandmother is entitled to her half of the policy whether you like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">